[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Monday, April 9 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 02:20:25 UTC 2012

Hello and good evening to you all, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, saints of the Most High God and children of our heavenly King-Father.  I hope that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that you had a fruitful day and that, when you retire for the night, that you will have a peaceful and restful sleep.

The Scripture passage I have for you this evening is Psalm 46 in its entirety, as found in the Jerusalem Bible from 1966.  However there is one phrase that needs a bit of explanation.  You will find the phrase "Yahweh Sabaoth," meaning "The Lord of hosts." This bit of explanation is for those who perhaps aren't that familiar with Hebrew.  Otherwise I like this rendering.  Here it is.

God is our shelter, our strength, ever ready to help in time of trouble, so we shall not be afraid when the earth gives way, when mountains tumble into the depths of the sea, and its waters roar and seethe, the mountains tottering as it heaves.  (Yahweh Sabaoth is on our side, our citadel, the God of Jacob!) There is a river whose streams refresh the city of God, and it sanctifies the dwelling of the Most High.  God is inside the city, she can never fall, at crack of dawn God helps her; to the roaring of nations and tottering of kingdoms, when He shouts, the world disintegrates.  Yahweh Sabaoth is on our side, our citadel, the God of Jacob! Come, think of Yahweh's marvels, the astounding things He has done in the world; all over the world He puts an end to wars, He breaks the bow, He snaps the spear, He gives shields to the flames.  "Pause a while and know that I am God, exalted among the nations, exalted over the earth!" Yahweh Sabaoth is on our side, our citadel, the God of Jacob!

And now let us go to sleep, knowing that God will keep His promise to us for a peaceful and tranquil rest.  Your Christian brother, Paul Barnabas