[Faith-talk] accessibility of church service material

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 04:36:44 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I said I’d post something to generate discussion rather than the traffic about forwards or debate on what to post. IMO, if you have a question about posting a topic, ask the moderator off list.
This sounds better to me than debating what topic is on topic for the list.
We go through that ocasionally on other lists I’m on too; its annoying since the debate about the list just generates endless traffic with no answer.
My topic here.
For those of you going to church regularly, how is the accessibility of the material? I’ll speak to my methodist church growing up.
They had a large braille hymnal of like 7 volumes for me. Other than that, the print wasn’t accessible. The schedule, bulletin, inserts of songs within the bulletin, etc was not accessible.  So I just listened to some songs and the other stuff read in the bulletin. For instance, we have to respond as a congregation to readings; I think its called the call to worship or something.
I stood and listened to that. Everyone else reads from their sheet.
I got a lot out of church since everyone hears the announcements, sermon, etc, but do not feel I was able to fully participate.

Ashley