[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Saturday, December 1 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 02:08:49 UTC 2012

Hello and good day to you all.  I trust that, for those of you who observe it, that tomorrow, the first Sunday in Advent, will be a pleasant experience for you.  Some of you, those who live in Australia and New Zealand, have already done so as this is being written.

The next few articles in the good night messages will be focused on Advent, that time for preparation for Christmas.  Tammy Devine writes the first article entitled "Christ Comes," rendered as follows:

Advent, the time to prepare my heart and mind to receive Christ, is here.  Is there room for Christ?

I sort through what inhabits these mental spaces and discover thoughts and memories that comfort me.  I find a few holiday traditions that remind me of a special person or time.  But other concerns and worries are just filling space.  Some cause emotional discomfort and even pain.

Why do I dwell on seasonal expectations others have for me; question my ability to make this years' events meaningful; feel stress about decorations, cards, Christmas cookie-making and whether I'll find the right present for so-and-so?

I've let spaces that once belonged to Jesus become congested.  And when there is no open space, there is no capacity for growth of spirit. It is time to de-clutter.

Together, let us prepare to receive the Christ Child.  Start by getting enough sleep.  Remove tasks that add busyness and no longer bring joy.  Laugh often with others.  Create an evening ritual--light an Advent wreath, read Scripture and pray for Christ to come into your heart.

The greatest gift you can give--to others, yourself and Christ--is a calmer, centered, more peaceful you.

And there is Tammy's article.  Not long, I know, but it has some great suggestions for your Advent celebration, however hectic or humble.

And now until tomorrow when, Lord willing another good night message will be presented, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul