[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Sunday, December 16 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 02:40:16 UTC 2012

Well, folks, here in North America this Lord's Day is about to be history, for us on the east coast first, and the rest of you following on right behind at hourly intervals.  On the other hand, you in Europe or the UK are in your early morning and you in Australia and New Zealand are either enjoying Monday midday meal or hopefully enjoying a pleasant Monday afternoon respectively.  In any case, I hope that, wherever you live in this world, that your day is going well, and that we in North America had a good day fellowshipping with the Lord and with our fellow church congregants.

Marilyn Goldfarb, a writer from Pennsylvania, presents a fascinating article entitled "The Language of Candles," rendered as follows:

Come December, no sight is more welcome than the first dusting of wispy snow or, even more, the first glittering string of holiday lights.  Christmas light, however, is much more than just illumination--it's a symbol.  In fact, everyone who sets a candle in the window during the Christmas season is taking part in a long and varied tradition.

Because fire was considered sacred in the ancient world, its light became a mystical expression of humanity's relationship to God.  The prophets, for example, foretold the coming of One whose word would be a light unto their feet and a lamp unto their pathway (Ps 119:105).  There's also the story of the three magi, who gazed into the darkness and became captivated by a brilliant light.  They literally followed the star that went before them to a place where they found the Light of the world.

Eventually, whether it was for heating, cooking or security, fire found its way into the home, and the burning candle was probably the earliest implement of that wise flame.  Candles were treated as more than just a way to stave off darkness; they were regarded as powerful omens, with life and death, marriage and prosperity all foretold by shapes formed by the dripping tallow.  Perfectly formed drops meant tears that would be shed; broken lines foretold of heartbreak; curves warned of false friends.  Moreover, the flame itself held clues of things to come.  A flickering flame during calm meant that windy weather was on the way.  A candle that would not light with ease was an indicator of a coming rain.

Historically, candles have had a role in Christmas traditions across the world.  In France and England, a Christmas light was made of three separate candles intertwined in honor of the Holy Trinity.  German wives prepared a feast before decorating the Christmas tree with small candles representing the glory and beauty of the stars above Bethlehem.  Candles were burned before cribs in Italy, on festal board in France and above doors in Spain--all to welcome baby Jesus with a joyful radiance.  In Ireland, the custom was to place a burning candle in the window to light the way for the Christ child on Christmas Eve, perhaps atoning for that first Christmas night when there was no room at the inn.  Even in the New World, the strict and reserved Puritans celebrated the day with a boisterous candle-lit celebration.  According to lore, they primed their candles with gunpowder and timed them so that Christmas came in with a flash of light and a thundrous celebration.

Today, electric Christmas light in all shapes and colors decorate homes and commercial buildings in celebration of the season.  Their splendor lends a welcome radiance to dark winter nights.  But, through the simplicity of candles, we can experience the sum of Christmas celebrations past.

And there you have Sister Marilyn's article.  There was a lot here that I didn't know.  As for you folks living in warmer climes, even though references to winter and snow may be foreign to you, I still hope that you found this article interesting.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul