[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Tuesday, December 18 2012 and Some Advice Sought

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 04:08:09 UTC 2012

Hello and good morning, afternoon or evening to my fellow saints of the Most High God.  I hope and pray that we in North America had a good day today, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, and that you in other parts of the world are having a good Thursday.

Before I give you the article for the evening, I have a question for you and your advice would be appreciated.  Last Tuesday, after over 32 years of yeoman service, my home stereo receiver just refused to function, and am in the market for a new one.  The questions are: Which of the following well-known outlets would you go to if you were in the market for a home stereo system, WalMart, Radio Shack or Best Buy? Would prefer to get a receiver that is not touch-screen only in nature, as I don't know how I would operate that.  Thanks a lot for any info you can give, and if I follow up advice given here, I won't complain to the person who gave me the best advice.  Again thanks.

Evelyn Horan, a writer from California, contributes today's article entitled "Christmas Loneliness," rendered as follows:

It was Christmas Eve, last year.  I dreaded its arrival! I knew I shouldn't feel that way--but inside my little house the silence had become unbearable.  My only company was the television, and most shows weren't the kind that held my interest long.

I had my daily Bible reading and my prayers.  I often talked to the Lord during the day, and there was comfort in that.  I tried not to think about the past, but when the Christmas season arrived, I couldn't help thinking about the past--about happy times.

I thought about last spring when my Ted went to be with the Lord.  Ours had been a good marriage.  What made it special was that he was my best friend, and we were happy and contented with one another's company.  I guess we should've included more folks in our lives.  Maybe I wouldn't have been so lonesome that Christmas Eve.

This time last year, I didn't feel like putting up Christmas decorations.  It was my first Christmas without Ted.  However, I displayed the most important decoration, the Nativity scene of the baby Jesus.  It sat on the dining room table where my family once had gathered in happy excitement.  In years past, we'd shared a wonderful Christmas Day with a feast of good food and lots of love and laughter.

I hadn't forgotten for one moment the true meaning of Christmas.  I knew it was to celebrate our Lord's birthday.  In my heart, I was more than happy that I had a Lord and Savior who cared for me and was always there for me.  But I had such a yearing for something or someone to love and hug on that Christmas Eve.

Dear God, please help me cope with my loneliness," I prayed as I stood at my front room window in the late afternoon and gazed out past the front yard to the street.

I looked across to my neighbor's house.  They had a pleasant young son, Aiden, and a pretty daughter, Alyssa, who was now in her late teens and finishing up her senior year in high school.  I could see their tall spruce Christmas tree, standing near the large picture window.  It was decorated with colorful ornaments and bright, flickering lights.

In my imagination, I heard the happy sounds of family love as they sat down to their Christmas Eve dinner.  Later on there would be gifts to open amidst excited cries of delight.

Before I sat down that evening, I thought about having some cookies and milk.  I still bake oatmeal cookies with raisins in them for the Christmas season.  But I don't put in crushed nuts anymore, because they're too hard for me to digest.

Looking at my platter of cookies, I questioned whether I had baked too many, just for myself.  Then I heard the doorbell ring.  When I opened it, there stood Aiden.

"Merry Christmas, Mrs. Adams," Aiden said, grinning happily.  He held a little black Scottie with a red-colored, plaid ribbon tied around its neck.  On its head was a tiny, black, Scottish beanie-cap with a round fuzzy pom-pom on top.  The puppy's pink tongue licked at Aiden's hand.

With his free hand, Aiden offered me a rounded paper plate wrapped in aluminum foil.  "Mom wanted to share some of our Christmas Eve dinner with you," he explained.  "She hopes you will enjoy it."

I held the warm paper plate smelling of delicious food.  "Why, thank you, Aiden!" I exclaimed in surprised delight.  "How thoughtful of your mother! Give her a big hug for me."

Aiden nodded and gave me another wide grin.  "I guess Mom told you Molly had three puppies a few months ago.  It's too many puppies for us.  We thought maybe you might like to have this little guy to keep you company.  We call him Mac, short for MacDonald, a good Scottish name."

"Oh, Aiden, he's precious," I said softly, as Aiden put the squirming puppy in my arms.  "How kind of you all.  I'd love to have Mac.  And I know how to house train and care for him," I said confidently.  "Don't worry about that.  We had several puppies when my children were small."

"Merry Christmas, Mrs. Adams," Aiden said again.  "If you need any help with Mac, just give me a call, and I'll be right over."

Tears filled my eyes.  "Thank you for thinking about me," I murmured.  "Please, Aiden, come inside and take some of my homemade oatmeal cookies to your family."

"Thanks, Mrs. Adams," Aiden said.  "And Mom told me to tell you she hopes you're not cooking for yourself tomorrow.  She'd like for you to have Christmas dinner with us about two o'clock.  There'll be turkey and the trimmings.  I'll come over and help you cross the street."

This time a few tears escaped and rolled down my cheeks.  Aiden tried to avoid my eyes.  I'm sure he saw them.  I gave Aiden a quick, little hug.  "Tell your mother I said thank you for the invitation.  I'll look forward to coming over."

With a covered plate of oatmeal cookies in his hands, Aiden crossed the yard and turned and waved.  "Merry Christmas," he said, once more smiling.

"Merry Christmas, Aiden, and thank you all again," I called as a warm squirming Mac wriggled in my arms.  His little pink tongue spread wet kisses all over my cheeks.  I closed the door.  "I love you too, Mac," I said.

I looked up for a moment and smiled.  "Thank you, God" I whispered.  "Thank you for answering my prayers and giving me a puppy to love and hug.  I guess I won't be too lonely anymore.  I'm sure Aiden will come over to visit Mac now and then.  And thank you for neighbors who care about me."

That night I slept a contented sleep.  Mac and I are great friends.  He keeps me busy and active as I follow him around the house and take him out in the yard for exercise.  And yes, he's spoiled.  He even sleeps at the foot of my bed!

I'll never forget that happy Christmas Eve when God answered my prayers, and my neighbors blessed me with their "good neighbor love."

That was a little longer than usual, I'll admit, but the Lord spoke to me telling me that someone neded to read this, at least one person who shall remain nameless, not that revealing the name of this particular individual would be bad, but God wanted it that way, and so it was.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul