[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Thursday, December 20 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 03:04:13 UTC 2012

HHello and good day all of you, whether that be morning, afternoon or evening.  I hope that your day is going well or went well today.

And now we reach back to a classic of what I'd like to call blind Christian literature.  It was written by the late Dr. Ralph Montanus, founder of the Gospel Associatiion for the Blind.  He lived from 1919 to 1986, and his contribution today is one worth pondering.  Entitled "What If This Was Your Last Christmas," it is rendered as follows:

The way things are transpiring throughout the world, this might well be your last Christmas.  Who would have dreamed that we would arrive at that time in our history when civilization would end?

The Lord Jesus spoke of this very generation when He said: "And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth; for the powers of heaven shall be shaken" (Luke 21:25-26).

This Christmas, as boy and girls play with their new toys and games, it may well be the last year of home life in a sane and peaceful society.  China, with her atheistic, satanic, godless energy, plans to explode boms capable of destroying the earth.  Is this not a picture of those who would destroy the earth?

"And the nations were angry, and Thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear Thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy this earth" (Revelation 11:8).

The devil knows that his time is short, and he is making an all-out effort to destroy the inhabitants of the earth.  In the midst of problems in the Middle East and in Asia, there is little hope for peace, as far as this world is concerned.  Yet, to the Christian, Bible prophecy holds great hope! This hope belongs to every born-again child of God.  It was expressed by our Lord when He said, "When these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh" (Luke 21:28).  This He could say because He foresaw world conditions--so much so that He also said, "Except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened" (Matthew 24:22).

Thank God for these words of Christ! To me they speak of God's watchfulness and mindfulness of His people.  These words inform me of the fact that, when things become darkest and conditions become impossible so that it seems man is about to destroy himself, God will intervene! It will happen within a moment--within the twinkling of an eye--when the trumpet will sound and we shall all be changed! This corruptible with put on incorruption, and this mortal will put on immortality.

God's intervention will be sudden.  It will be unexpected.  All at once, "the Lord Himself will descend from Heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ will rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  Wherefore, comfort one another with these words" (I Thessalonians 4:16-18).

All of this may happen before this Christmas arrives.  Yes, dear friend, this could be our last Christmas.  I do not think an intelligent human being alive on earth today is unaware of the terrible possibility of worldwide nuclear destruction.  The wrong turn of a switch, the wrong calculated risk, and nuclear war could become a reality.  Truly, if I were not a child of God, I could see absolutely no hope for this old world; however, the true believer in Christ has much to rejoice over at this season of the year.  Remember, we are bidden by our Lord, "When these things begin to come to pass, then ..." Then what? Become panicky? Become terrified? Oh, no! He said, "Look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh."

If this should be your last Christmas, how would you spend it? Would you invest your money lavishly in material things? Would you be taken up with the holiday frenzy of buying, or would you be putting Christ first on the day that is set aside to commemorate His birth?

"And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.  For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.  Watch ye, therefore, and pray always that ye may not be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man" (Luke 21:34-36).

If there ever was an hour in the world's history when men need to hear the Gospel, this is that hour.  Yes, this Christmas could well be your last.  Therefore, whatever you do, make it count for eternity.  Give the Lord the best gift; invest in eternity's values.  Be sure to put Christ first in all your Christmas celebration.

If every professed Christian were to so invest in eternal things this Christmas, I am convinced that they would make an impact upon this sin-cursed world such as was never seen before.

And there you have Dr. Montanus's article.  For you younger people, I pray that it was a blessing for you, and that you older ones who remember him, it was a look back nostaalgically at his life.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul