[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Should Christians celebrate Lent?

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sat Feb 25 19:32:15 UTC 2012

Original Message:
From: "thefamilyoffaith" <TheFamilyofFaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>,
<INTERCESSORS-ALLNATIONS at yahoogroups.com>,
<dfpprayerwarriors at suddenlink.net>, <unitedprayermail at aol.com>,
<CcHhEeSsTtEeRr at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Should Christians celebrate Lent?
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:55:27 -0500

Should Christians celebrate Lent?

Some people think of Lent as a Catholic observance, but it is neither
Catholic nor Protestant. Many non-Catholic churches celebrate Lent as well.

There is no specific command in the Bible to celebrate Lent or Ash
Wednesday. These are simply special days which the church has set apart to
remember certain aspects of our Lord's life and to reflect on our proper
response to him.

Although it is not necessary to observe Lent, there is no reason why
Christians should not celebrate Lent if they so choose. It is just another
way to remember our Lord Jesus and what he has done for us.

 (Romans 14:5-6) - "One person considers one day more sacred than
another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully
convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so
to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to
God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God."

Jesus celebrated Hanukah. (Colossians 2:16) -  "Therefore do not let
anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious
festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."

(John 10:22-23) - "Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It
was winter, 23 and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon's
Colonnade."

Job's sons celebrated their birthdays. - (Job 1:4) - "His sons used to
hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their
three sisters to eat and drink with them."