[Faith-talk] An Early Good Night Message for Sunday, July 15 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 00:38:02 UTC 2012

Yes, folks, I know it's early, but I'm in the same situation that I was in several days ago, wishing to talk to someone live over the phone.  This unfortunately is compounded by the fact that I left my church today after having been there for almost 26 years.  I can say with complete sincerity and honesty that the majority of that time, the Lord, through our late pastor, R.T. Woodworth, has been teaching me so much about God's written Word.  However, with the loss of church membership, plus the fact that we're all so scattered, our congregation is, for all intents and purposes, practically dead in that we only meet on Sunday morning and that's that.  So please pray that God will lead me to the church that He wants me to attend, not necessarily the one I like because of a dynamic pastor or programs.  It's so difficult to express myself emotionally, but I could probably do a much better job over the phone.  If any of you would like to go that route, please email me privately off list at oilofgladness47 at gmail.com, giving me the best time to call, and remember that I'm on eastern time.  My calling plan enables me to call both the U.S. and Canada, so that would be no problem.  Unfortunately I don't have Skype yet.  Thanks a lot for hearing me out and, if the Spirit moves, giving me your phone number.

Mrs. James Penland (Hope that's the right spelling.) of Asheville NC contributed this evening's poem.  Entitled "My Window," it is rendered as follows:

Like Daniel in the olden day,
I have a window where I pray
That I may walk the narrow way.

Beyond this window is a pine
Which helps to make this place a shrine,
And lift my heart, O God, to Thine.

Beyond the pine, the garden green
With trees and flowers spread between
Is to my eyes a lovely scene.

And further on there is a road
Which leads up to the house of God,
And many saints this path have trod.

Beyond the church the village lies
Where men are foolish, men are wise,
For these, my friends, I lift my eyes.

Mine eyes I lift unto the hills
And pray for what His Spirit wills,
And there my heart with rapture thrills.

O sacred shrine where Christ I meet
To bow in homage at His feet,
There could not be a place more sweet.

And there you have it for now.  Maybe you caught a glimpse of entering into the world of Mrs. Penland.  I sure did.  And when she mentioned "the village," she obviously wasn't thinking of Asheville, as that is a bustling and thriving city in western North Carolina.  On the other hand, she might have been thinking of a time when Asheville was a village, or perhaps she was thinking of nearby small towns like Ella, Franklin, Andrews, Silva or Cherokee, all towns in the Blue Ridge Mountains of the western part of the Tar Heel State.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last evil days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul