[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Wednesday, July 25 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 01:12:22 UTC 2012

Hello and good day or evening to you all, depending on where in the world you happen to reside.  I hope that your day went well or is going well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

This evening's inspirational words of wisdom come not from the pen of a poet or poetess, but from the pen of the great Canadian-born Harry Ironsides (1878-1951), as told by the chaplain, the late Pastor Roland Gerdes, on his program still aired on the Sight Seer at 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. eastern time Monday through Friday.  Check it out at http://www.thesightseer.org.  Their programming is quite varied, with naturally certain aspects of their broadcast day devoted to local events around Grand Rapids MI.  Anyway, as I recall it, Mr. Ironsides recounted the following from an English pastor named Rev. Barker.

It seemed that a lady owed a tradesman some money which she was unable to produce at the time of his requesting the receipt, even though she had paid him for whatever she bought previously, just knowing that the receipt was somewhere.  Anyway her young son was around and they, mother and son, saw a butterfly fly into their house.  Wishing to catch it, the boy ran in after it, but somehow the insect stuck itself against a wall.  In the process of trying to catch it, the young lad knocked over a trunk and, when his mother came to investigate, found the receipt on the floor underneath the trunk.  When the tradesman came the next morning demanding money, the lady showed him the receipt, with all necessary information written out in the tradesman's own handwriting.

The lesson from this is very clear: If we pray and have enough trust and faith that God will give us the answer to what we need, He will always come through with what we need at, in this case, the last possible moment.

I hope that you enjoyed what the late Pastor Roland Gerdes had to say as he read it from Brother Ironsides.  According to a source, the chaplain for the Sight Seer went home to be with His Lord in 2006, but I, along with others, am so glad that they continue to air his 15-minute broadcasts.  If you're up and about check it out.

One more thing before I close.  Please pray that God will keep the undersigned awake as he labors as the on-call volunteer counselor for our local crisis pregnancy center from midnight to 6 a.m. eastern time.  Pray that He will give me the right words to say, to say them at the opportune moment and in the right tone of voice, should a lady contemplating abortion should call.  On behalf of all callers, thanks very much for your prayers.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day, and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul