[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Saturday, June 23 2012, Albeit A Little Early

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 01:03:41 UTC 2012

Yes, it is early I know, but have an internet gathering coming up and would rather post this message now rather than waiting until everyone leaves this venue.  Besides I just might be too tired that I'll forget to post it.  Anyway how was your day today, at least for those of us in North America? As this is being written it's probably church time for you in Australia, and in New Zealand you're probably enjoying hopefully a pleasant Sunday afternoon, but here we're still in our evening time.

Our words of inspiration this evening come from the pen of a disabled woman, Annie Johnson Flint, best known for the words of the Gospel song "He Giveth More Grace When the Burdens Grow Greater." Entitled "One Day at a Time," the title reminiscent of a more popular Gospel song, it is rendered as follows:

One day at a time, with its failures and fears.
With its hurts and mistakes, with its weakness and tears,
With its portion of pain and its burden of care;
One day at a time we must meet and must bear.

One day at a time to be patient and strong;
To be calm under trial and sweet under wrong;
Then its toiling shall pass and its sorrow shall cease;
It shall darken and die, and the night shall bring peace.

One day at a time, but the day is so long,
And the heart is not brave, and the soul is not strong.
O Thou pitying Christ, Be Thou near all the way;
Give courage and patience and strength for the day.

Swift cometh His answer, so clear and so sweet;
"Yea, I will be with thee, thy troubles to meet;
I will not forget thee; I never will leave."
Not yesterday's load we are called on to bear,
Nor the morrow's uncertain and shadowy care,
Why should we look forward or back with dismay?
Our needs, as our mercies, are but for the day.

One day at a time, for the day is His day;
He hath numbered its hours, though they haste or delay.
His grace is sufficient; we walk not alone;
As the day, so the strength that He giveth His own.

There were not a few allusions to Scripture references given here.  Could any of you find them? I could find a few, but not all.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout the night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian brother, Paul