[Faith-talk] FW: [masterslist] True Love for the Poor

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Thu Mar 22 17:11:16 UTC 2012

Original Message:
From: "Dean Masters" <dwmasters15 at gmail.com>
To: "masters list" <masterslist at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [masterslist] True Love for the Poor
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:32:40 -0400

True Love for the Poor

Sarah Phillips, Crosswalk.com Family Editor

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you
must
love one another.

John 13: 34

Lent is a time when believers not only meditate on Christ's suffering,
but
they reach out to those in need.  In light of this practice, I want to
share
an experience my husband and I had this weekend with a special group of
Christians who understand the command to love one another at the deepest
level.
My husband and I spent a recent Sunday afternoon at a home run by
The Little Sisters of the Poor.

The Little Sisters of the Poor are a religious order dedicated to the
care
of the elderly.
St. Jeanne Jugan
founded the order in revolutionary-era France. Like so many other
founders
and foundresses of religious communities, she didn't set out to start an
order.
She simply saw a need in her community and answered God's call to meet
that
need through her own life.

St. Jeanne Jugan's work with the elderly began in her teens when she
would
beg on behalf of the elderly poor. As a young woman, she rejected a
sailor's
proposal, sensing God had consecrated life in mind for her even though
she
did not know all the details yet of how it would play out. After years of

living
a life of prayer and service, she realized God wanted her to serve the
elderly in particular. As more and more aging and poor came to her
doorstep,
young
women joined her in service and the order began.

Today, the Little Sisters have homes all over the world. My husband's
grandmother now lives in one. This is what brought us to our local Little
Sisters.

I am not an expert on caring for the elderly, but I've certainly visited
nursing homes before. My most memorable experiences occurred during my own

grandmother's
stays in several local nursing homes. I know how dismal these places can
feel.

Our visit to the Little Sisters was anything but dismal. Everything was
so
peaceful and well-kept. The nuns, in full habit, were eager to meet me
and
the
rest of the extended family. My husband's grandmother, already settled in
her new place, used her new walker to give us a tour of the place. It was
neat to see her walking faster than I'd ever seen her walk.

We saw the handicap accessible chapel where a service is offered every
single day - and the sisters will even wheel your bed in if need be. As we

stood
outside the chapel, another resident zipped by in her walker. A nun
smiled
and mentioned how she is always visiting the chapel to pray for her many
grandchildren.
We saw the calendar filled with events and visitors. We saw the
handrails,
wheeled chairs, and even the salon - every detail of the place's design
was
focused on allowing life to be lived to the fullest.

Beyond the practical details that make life easier for the elderly, the
attitude that each human being has inherent dignity and worth permeated
the
place.
The nuns were attentive to everyone, young and old, no matter how healthy
or
sick. As mentioned above, the residents were bright-eyed and social.
Nobody
was a burden or a lost cause (or a cause at all, for that matter). A
small
sign at the front desk showed a smiling picture of one of their residents

who
had recently passed, expressing gratitude for her and asking for prayers.

The Little Sisters of the Poor are immersed in the realities and
complexities of aging day in and day out. And they are just one of many
unsung organizations
that reach out to those in need, not just once during Lent, but every
single
day for as long as they are needed.

It's true that the Little Sisters' lives are not glamorous. They receive
no
earthly reward - not even a high-paying salary - and yet they are happy,
beautiful
women and interesting conversationalists. These women have created an
environment of love and expert care that so many other facilities struggle

to achieve,
and it's precisely because of their love for Christ.

Intersecting Faith & Life: Is God calling you to increase your service to

others? Pray about ways you can reach out to others in need this Lent.

You may also like:

THIS WEEK
In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley
Reflecting upon and applying biblical principles

Click to read online >>
----

THIS WEEK
Devotionals Daily: A Year with Jesus
Showcasing the variety of ways in which God shows His love for us through

the gift of Jesus, these devotionals provide encouragement and
inspiration
for
new Christians or long-time believers

Click to read online >>

----

Free eBook Offer from CUFI!
----

Orphans need your help!
----

Free DVD- Magdalena: Through Her Eyes
----

Win a $10,000 Scholarship!
----

Free Book about Christian Persecution
----
Featured Video
Ministry from
LightSource.com

Sid Roth
It's Supernatural!
See more ministry videos at LightSource.com

Today on Crosswalk.com
The tribe has spoken: who will win Bible Survivor?
Outgive, Outpray, Outfast
The tribe has spoken: who will win Bible Survivor?
What are the odds it lives up to the book and the hype?
Let the Games Begin
What are the odds it lives up to the book and the hype?
Defining success for your average Jane or Joe
Fame Isn't Everything
Defining success for your average Jane or Joe
How does Donald Miller's bestseller translate to film?
>From Book to Screen
How does Donald Miller's bestseller translate to film?

----

Send a FREE Ecard

More Ecards

Time for Spring

Spring Forth

1 Chronicles 16:11

Blessed Spring

table end

Read about Salem Web Network

Send us your Feedback

© 2011 Salem Web Network. All rights reserved.
111 Virginia Street, Suite 500
Richmond, VA 23219
Salem Web Network website properties include:
list of 11 items
. Crosswalk.com
. OnePlace.com
. LightSource.com
. CrossCards.com
. Christianity.com
. BibleStudyTools.com
. ChristianCollege.com
. GodTube.com
. GospelTube.com
. Jesus.org
. TheFish.com
list end

Dean Masters, owner of the Masters List

"I would rather walk in the dark with Jesus than to walk in the light on
my
own."
Wayne Watson