[Faith-talk] An Early Good Night Message for Saturday, May 12 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 00:45:36 UTC 2012

Hello and good evening to you all, my fellow saints of the Most High God residing in North America.  I know this is early, but I have an audio internet program that begins at 9 p.m. eastern time, and may not be alert enough to post this message when we're all done, about 10 or 11 p.m. eastern time, hence the early message.  How was your day today? Mine was good, especially my walk around our block twice.  Didn't meet anyone to exchange greetings with, but I had good exercise nonetheless.  Medical people say that the best overall exercise is walking, so I'm taking their advice.  Besides it's free.

The inspirational words this evening come from yours truly's poetic pen.  Originally written in 2003 to celebrate my mom's 90th birthday it was entitled "What A Friend We Have In Mother," and can easily be sung to the tune of "What A Friend We Have In Jesus." Didn't plan it that way, but the Lord knew what He was doing.  Some of you may have already read this before, but many more haven't.  Here it is, as it appeared in the May 2005 issue of "Watering the seed," the quarterly publication of the Christian Poetry Society.

What a friend we have in mother;
One who loves and always cares.
So unselfish, thoughtful, tender,
With her life, her time and prayers.
Oh, how much we often forefeit
By our failure to be kind.
Oh, the times we caused her heartache,
To her counsel paid no mind.

Have we trials and temptations,
Is there sorrow, doubts and fears?
Mother understands and comforts;
Kisses away the pain and tears.
Could we find a friend more faithful,
Who will share our grief and joy?
Mother ever has her "baby";
Woman, or girl, or man, or boy.

God reveals His love in mothers;
In this wide world everywhere.
Though your friends despise, forsake thee,
In her arms and heart you're there.
Lord, I thank Thee now for mother,
All I am or hope to be
Nothing of myself is worthy,
Owing all to her and Thee.

This is one of the very few times that I felt that the Spirit was dictating these words to your humble servant, rather than any poetic talent I might possess, for which I give Him all the credit, praise and honor.  Should you grace the Seasons of refreshing phone chat line tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. perhaps some of you with a bit of persuasiveness could get me to recite and/or sing this poem.  Hey, there's nothing like an artist to do his/or thing, whether that be an original song composition, working in ceramics, acryllics, macrame or painting.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep you safe throughout the night and especially in these last days in which we live.  Although it's a bit early here in North America, happy Mother's Day to you all, and may God, in His infinite wisdom and goodness, shower you with meaningful gifts from your children, if you have any.  This is the sincere hope and desire of your Christian brother, Paul