[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Friday, November 9 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 02:47:14 UTC 2012

Well, the sun has gone down here in the East and central parts of North America, whereas it's probably still a bit light in the Mountain west.  On the other hand on the Pacific coast it may still be daylight.  I hope and pray that your day went well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.  For the rest of you in other parts of the world, I pray that your Saturday is going well.

Sharon Conners graces our screen readers, Braille displays and computer screens, not to mention our minds, with her insightful and thoughtful article entitled "Richly Blessed," rendered as follows:

One day while filling the gas tank of my car at the gas station, a man approached me. This man rather nervously asked me whether he could borrow a few dollars to put gas in his tank. I looked at him with his T-shirt and his blue jeans and slightly mussed-up hair. I noticed he wore a metal cross on a chain around his neck.

My children were in the car with my purse. Suspicious of his motives, at first, I asked him a few questions. Today in the world in which we live, one can never be sure what a stranger's intentions are. For all I knew he could have been planning to kidnap us.

As he answered my questions, I could tell he was truly nervous. He explained that he was on his way to work at his new job. He was worried that if he was late, he would be fired. I asked where his car was, and he pointed to a car at another pump.

OK, I decided to give him some cash from my purse but to use caution. My children were curious about what I was doing since I had already used my credit card to pay for my gas.

As my heart raced, I dug in my purse for my wallet. I gave the young man four dollars and had only one left in my wallet. When I handed it to him, he thanked me and said, "God bless you."

As we drove away, I explained to the children what had happened. I also told them that I was cautious about my actions. Secretly, I felt guilty and ashamed for wrongly thinking that this man could have hurt us. I wondered whether he was a Christian.

Later that day I called the bank to inquire on my checking balance. A pleasant surprise awaited me. I received $40 deposited by the bank for using my bankcard on a certain number of purchases. It occurred to me after a while that God had blessed me with ten times the amount I had given to the man. Coincidence? Maybe. But what are the odds? I am banking on God having something to do with it.

When I shared the discovery with my daughters, the older one said, "Why didn't you give the man $10? Then you would have $100."

I laughed and told her that I do not believe God works that way.

I would say that I was richly blessed with a life lesson. I helped someone who asked God's blessing on me. God gave me the blessing with what He felt I needed at the time. "And God is able to make all grace abound toward you" (2 Cor. 9:8).

An interesting article, that one.  If we find ourselves in such situations on an individual basis, I would strongly advise to use discerning caution.  However, if God specifically tells you to give a stranger something and you have it, go ahead and do it.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep you safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live. Your Christian friend and brother, Paul