[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Friday, November 23 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 03:26:14 UTC 2012

Hello and good morning, afternoon or evening wherever in this world you happen to reside.  Here in North America, it's evening, hence the good night message.  I hope and pray that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that your day went well or that your Saturday is going well.

"What I'm Grateful For," by Travis Stork and others, appeared in USA Weekend, November 18-20 2011 and is rendered as follows:

Giving thanks is important not only on the holidays, but as a way of life.  Gratitude improves sleep, fights depression, and cuts heart disease risk.  That's a great way to improve your health! Here's what we at _The _Doctors are thankful for.

Jim Sears, pediatrician
I'm thankful for being able to talk--really talk--to my kids.  Teenagers can be nightmares.  With my own, I make it a priority to keep the lines of communication open.  The trick is so start the conversation; a TV show, even a song, has helped me break the ice on sensitive subjects like alcohol and sex.

Drew Ordon, plastic and reconstructive surgeon
I'm thankful for the chance to give back.  I started the Surgical Friends Foundation, where a group of doctors offer free reconstructive surgery to people with birth defects or disfiguring abuse or burns.  It makes me feel so good to help others, and the best part is that my kids are choosing a similar path.

Lisa Masterson, OB/GYN
I'm thankful for the opportunity for my son to go to college.  I'm a big believer in education--it's something that was instilled in me as a little girl.  I know not everyone gets to go to school, so it makes me truly appreciate that my son, Daniel, has that chance.  He's in his second year of undergrad and chose to study philosophy.  I love that he's expanding his mind and having fun, too.

Jillian Michaels, health wellness expert
I'm thankful for the kindness of strangers.  It's easy to become jaded in this crazy world, but when someone takes the time to just do something nice, it inspired me to be more positive.  Recently my car broke down and this guy pulls over to see if I'm OK.  He had his two kids in the car, but still waited with me until the tow company came; his kids even offered me snacks from their lunch boxes.  I was overwhelmed by their kindness.

Wendy Walsh, psychologist
I'm thankful for my Aspie angel.  That's what I call my 8-year-old daughter, Jones, who last year was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.  Kids with Asperger's are obsessed with specific things, have frequent meltdowns, and often won't look adults in the eye.  They can also be geniuses--Jones is all of that.  My two beautiful girls, Jones and 13-year-old Carrington, have taught me to be strong, to have patience, and that I can do anything.

Travis Stork, E.R. physician
I'm thankful for my health.  Growing up I wasn't a model of health, but I made a conscious decision to live better.  As I approach my 40th birthday, I've found what works best for me: I love biking to walk and taking my Dog, Nala, for walks; I love cooking with my fiance, Charlotte; and mostly I love getting people around me excited about health.

And there you have it for today.  My favorite one is the doc who was thankful for the kindness of strangers.  With so much going against us blind people on the part of sighted people, it's good to know that, despite some people's opinion of what we can do, there are still some around who treat us as equals.  The problem is finding them, but they are there.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout the night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian brother and friend, Paul