[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Monday, November 26 2012, Albeit a Little Early

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:27:32 UTC 2012

Yes, it's a mite early, but the undersigned is to host a live audio chat/discussion concerning travel and tourism and, not knowing how long this will last, have decided to give you your good night message now.  Have any of you checked out Janet Eckles' website yet? If so please let the rest of us know.  I've done so, and really enjoy her writing.

Here's a rather interesting article for you today by Sharon Conners entitled "Prayer Long Distance," rendered as follows:

Have you ever had a panic attack? If you have, you know it is one of the worst experiences you can ever have.  If you have never had one, try to remember a time when you were afraid either because of a very real situation or one that you feared might happen.  During a panic attack, that same fear exists, but it is a fear that is unfounded.

I experienced a horrific panic attack one summer.  It was a fear that paralyzed me.  I was in the middle of a rural camping ground at a Christian festival.  Fortunately, I have a very good prayer partner.  The only problem was that Lynne was forty-five miles away! I was too embarrassed to ask strangers at the festival to pray with me for fear that they would not understand.  Thank God for modern technology! I was able to call Lynne on my cell phone and ask her to pray with me.

However, during our conversation, our call got disconnected.  In the middle of this, a fierce thunderstorm was rapidly approaching.  I panicked about making it to our car.  My children were utterly frustrated with me.  I cried out loud, saying, "Why won't God send one Christian to pray with me and help me?"

Minutes later I walked into the tent at the main entrance to the event and told a woman about my panic.  She said, "Let me pray with you." God works fast when we need Him.  Not only did she pray with me, but several other Christians came by, and we joined hands and prayed.  God gave me the strength to make it to the car and through the next two days of the festival.

My guilt over having a panic attack and ruining my children's day was replaced by an inner peace and the joy of knowing they enjoyed and benefited from the rest of the festival.  I told them of the wonderful way God answered my prayer.  I went back the next day to tell those who prayed with me about the peace God gave me.

I told Lynne about God's healing for me, and we both praised Him.  I was led to a verse in Isaiah: "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee" (26:3).

"The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah" (Ps. 46:7).  Our God is omnipresent.  He answers when we pray for someone near or far.

I can recall only one real panic attack in my life, and that was when in China in 1986 during the Universal Esperanto Congress.  After the formal congress itself, those interested had a number of venues to choose from to travel throughout the country.  My friend Ed and I chose the northeastern corner with visits to Dairen, Xinjang and Harbin, the latter of the three very close to the Russian border.  While in Harbin Ed and I somehow got separated from the main body of our group, and we didn't know what to do.  Well, as God would have it, a lady who had spent 20 years in the region and who was originally from Portland OR came along and asked what the trouble was.  Although not a member of our group, she somehow was able to direct us to where we could join it again.  She had married a Chinese gentleman and, for reasons I didn't understand at the time nor do I today, chose to live in Communist China.  It goes without saying that she spoke perfect English.  So, in these two incidents, with Sharon and the undersigned, God will put people in our midst to help us and pray for us.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian brother and friend, Paul