[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Thursday, October 18 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 02:49:48 UTC 2012

Well, here we are on a Thursday evening here in North America, and, for the rest of you in other parts of the world, it's already Friday morning or afternoon, depending on where you live.  I hope and pray that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that we in North America had a good day today and that your Friday is going well for those of you in other countries.

Today we have another author to grace our computer screens, Braille displays and screen readers.  Her name is Carole Knowlton, and her contribution is entitled "A Still, Small Voice," rendered as follows:

The woman was almost home when she was prompted to turn and go in the opposite direction.  Whispering a prayer, she pulled into the neighbor's driveway and invited them to church.

God the Creator eternally exists in three Persons known as the Trinity: the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit was present at creation (Gen 1:2) and continues to work throughout the Bible.

We receive the Holy Spirit after we repent of our sins and believe (Acts 2:38).  He often speaks to us in a still, small voice.

Elijah despaired for his life, felt abandoned, and waited to hear from God (1 Kings 19:4).  He knew God could show Himself in a mighty way, as He had done on Mount Carmel, if He chose.  After God sent a destructive wind, an earthquake, and fire, He had Elijah's attention.  Then the Spirit of God chose to speak to Elijah in a still, small voice, and Elijah was willing to listen.

The Holy Spirit helps the believer in many ways.  He helps us share the gospel (Isa. 61:1).  He strengthens and empowers us as He did for the apostles: "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you" (Acts 1:8).  He teaches us (1 Cor. 2:13).  He enables us to obey (Rom. 8:14).  He gives us discernment and guides us into truth because He is truth (John 14:17; 16:13; 1 John 3:24).  Do you feel uncomfortable in a certain situation? Perhaps that still, small voice is prompting you.  Are you listening?

Christ comforted His disciples and left His peace with them (John 14:1-28).  He wants to do the same for us.  That is why He sent the Comforter.  The Holy Spirit provides both comfort and peace.

There can be times we do not know how to pray because we are overwhelmed with problems.  The Holy Spirit helps us in our despair.  "He that searcheth the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God" (Rom. 8:27).

The comfort guidance, teaching, discernment and power we receive from the Holy Spirit comes as we seek to obey God's will.

That woman and her husband transported the neighbor's children to church on Sunday for many years.  Because a woman obeyed a still, small voice, so did one of the children when he answered the call to preach.

So, there you have it.  I hope and pray that you enjoyed this article, and that it gave you some food for thought.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep you safe, individually and collectively, throughout the night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul