[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Wednesday, October 24 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 01:47:33 UTC 2012

Hello and good morning, afternoon or evening wherever in this world you happen to live.  Here in North America it's evening.  How was your day today? Mine was good, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Carole Knowlton is back with us today with another article entitled "Owner or Tennant?, rendered as follows:

"My Heart, Christ's Home," by Robert Boyd Munger, compares our Christian life to a house with numerous rooms.

The library is compared to a study of the mind.  When thoughts are centered on Christ, the awareness of His presence gives power to bring thoughts under His control.

We travel from where we feed the mind to where we feed the body.  The dining room represents the place where appetites are fed.  Do we eat worldly food or food that feeds the soul?

The living room is next.  That is where we spend time together with people we value.  We share ideas, discuss issues, and learn principles.

Now we come to the workroom.  It is a place where we develop our talents and build our skills.  It reminds me when some missionary friends came for a visit.  Our son had just completed high school and was asked, "What do you hope to do for the kingdom?"

The recreation room is where we entertain.  New friendships and joys are experienced here.

The bedroom is the place for intimacy.  It strengthens the bond between man and woman.  It is the place where we learn to put the welfare and happiness of our mate before our own.  It signifies warmth and love that will nourish and enhance relationships.

The family room of God is worldwide.  Ties are formed and relationships strengthened.  Pretensions are dropped, and there is an atmosphere of acceptance and family oneness.

The kitchen represents a place of service.  Workers prepare the serve the Bread of life.  Everyone can serve in some way.  Even the young can learn to do simple tasks here.  Teamwork is important.

The hall closet represents things we hide.  Issues we do not want to address.  Habits we do not want to give up. Things that curtail our spiritual growth.  It has a strong odor and needs to be cleaned up, just like our lives.

The final phase is transferring the title.  We finally realize that for our heart to be Christ's home, we need to totally commit all aspects of our life to His control.

The sermon was first preached in 1947.  InterVarsity Press first published the booklet in 1954.  Recently, while telling a friend about this book I mentioned to her that it was old.  She said, "Oh, those are the best!"

God's Word never grows old.  He longs to show us something new so our heart can truly be His home.

I remember a Bible study that we had several years ago from a similar book by Max Lucado in which he treated the home in a similar way, but can't remember its title.  I do remember, though, that one of the "rooms" was a chapel.  Does anyone here remember that one? Let's thank Sister Carole for her contribution.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout the night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul