[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Monday, April 8, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 01:29:53 UTC 2013

Hello and good evening to those of you residing in the Americas, and good morning or afternoon to those residing elsewhere in this world.  I hope and pray that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that you all are having a good day today or had one.

Bruce Schwark is a pastor from Wisconsin and he wrote today's article entitled "How Did Jesus Lead Captivity Captive?", rendered as follows:

Do you have trophies around your home, such as sports medals, county-fair ribbons or framed diplomas? Do you remember the celebratory spirit you felt when they were awarded to you?

The days that follow Easter are also a time of celebration! In church we observe how God highly exalted Jesus and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name.  More than receiving an excellent name, Jesus was exalted when He ascended into heaven.

The apostle Paul wrote about the ascension and exaltation of Christ Jesus in Ephesians, chapter four.  In several instances, Paul references passages from the Old Testament to proclaim teachings given him by inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  In this case, Paul quotes Psalm 68:18 in which David sings of the Savior-Messiah, "You have ascended on high, You have led captivity captive." What does it mean that Jesus "led captivity captive?"

Psalm 68 is a hymn of victory in which God is praised as the savior against Israel's enemies.  After some verses of introduction, the psalmist sings in general of God's help against Israel's foes.  Verses 7-18 speak of battle and victory.  The last two verses describe the triumphant march of the ranking general as he ascends the hills of Jerusalem.  Surrounded by his warriors, they escort the hostages, the plunder and tribute presented by the defeated enemies.

Today, after a successful hunting or fishing trip, one might commission a taxidermist to preserve and mount a trophy-sized animal or fish to commemorate the event.  In the ancient Roman world, the victor would have been exalted and celebrated with a triumphant parade in which the captives, the plunder and tribute of the defeated would pass in review before the civic leaders and populace.

The Bible says that when Christ Jesus "ascended on high, He led captive a host of captives." Who are the captive paraded before Christ Jesus and His holy Christian church? They are none other than sin, death and the devil.  Before Christ was crucified for our offenses and raised for our justification, the law, sin, death, devil and hell had been our captors.

In Romans, chapter six, we are called "slaves of sin." But through His suffering and dying, Jesus has won the victory that the very first prophecy in Gen. 3:15 had foretold.  He could celebrate the victory:  "Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it" (Col. 2:15).

Psalm 68 had more to say about Christ's ascension than just leading captivity captive.  When St. Paul quotes this passage, the second half states, He "gave gifts to men" (Ephesians 4:8b).  To what gifts does Paul refer?

Paul is primarily speaking of the gifts of the Holy Spirit that have been poured out upon the Christian church.  The first of these gifts are the means of grace.  God's gifts come to us through the proclamation of God's Word and the forgiveness of sin granted in holy baptism and the Lord's Supper.  In addition, the Holy Spirit has given differing gifts to individuals for the work of service and building up of the body of Christ.

Romans 12 also speaks of the gifts of prophecy, service, teaching, one who exhorts, one who gives, one who leads and one who shows mercy.  Examples of those who employ such gifts are:  a woman who teaches Sunday school; a man who visits those confined to hospital beds and nursing homes; and a couple who anonymously lend money to their congregation.  They do these things to the love and glory of Christ Jesus, Who has won the final victory.

"A hymn of glory let us sing! O risen Christ, ascended Lord, Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!"

And there you have Bruce's article for today, which I hope and pray was of spiritual benefit to you all.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul