[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Friday, April 12, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 02:07:31 UTC 2013

Friday evening in the Americas is here, whereas you in other parts of the world are in your Saturday.  Whatever time of day it is in your area, I hope that everything's going well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

The article for today was originally published in a periodical called "Word In Action," published by Bible Society, an organization in the UK that is probably the equivalent of the American Bible Society here in the U.S.  Anyway it deals with a bit of Christian history that most of my British readers may know nothing about, but am presenting it in hopes that they will be enlightened and, by extension, that we in the rest of the world, especially if you like Christian history, will also benefit from.  The article in question is entitled "Fire In the Palace" by Diana Leigh, rendered as follows:

(Bible Society is rekindling sparks of Scripture in the fabric of Parliament.  Diana Leigh reports).

Ancient embers of Scripture have been smouldering away at the heart of our nation (UK) for centuries.  Bible Society and its allies are picking up the smoke trail--with some surprising results.

Unless you had walked the corridors of Parliament, as I did recently, you would not know how the Bible is embedded into the Palace of Westminster.  It's breathtaking.  It's not that just the dispatch box--where the Prime Minister leans as he shadow-boxes his opponents--is packed full of Scripture.  That's only a fraction of this amazing story.

Clattering over the marble flooring, every turn brought another revelation and one more example of the Bible--and its impact--at the centre of our nation.  My guide was Dr. David Landrum, Bible Society's man in the Houses of Parliament.  He was kept busy.  Stepping around these words spelled out on the tiled floor--"Unless the Lord builds the house they labour in vain ..."--We pressed on into the heart of the building.

As we walked, David reminded me how the Bible used to be at the core of the government's decision making.  Oliver Cromwell's debates in the 1640's were infused with Christian thinking.  Scripture and prayer were central to the parliamentarians' lives--fuelling the development of a revolutionary new government.  The Cromwellians had no problem stopping a debate to consider if a prophetic word from God could help shape the big issues.

The Moses Room regularly houses parliamentary debates.  A huge fresco of Moses bringing down the tablets from Sinai hangs here filling one wall.  A painting of "The Judgment of Daniel" hangs on another wall.  Mosaics of Britain's patron saints stretch up to the lofty ceilings of the lobbies.  Elsewhere, paintings of historical events line the corridors.  Many include images of Christian men and women--like the Pilgrim Fathers and the preacher Latimer--putting their faith into action.  Latimer is portrayed delivering one of the famous seven Lenten sermons before King Edward VI in the mid 16th century.

Statues highlight Christian values.  The biblical virtues of justice and mercy reminded Queen Victoria she couldn't have one without the other.  At the state opening of Parliament, our real-life Elizabeth II still sits on a saint-decked throne to give her speech.  As she looks over the heads of lords spiritual and temporal and invited MP's, she is able to see "The Spirit of Religion" by John Callcott Horsley.  In this painting the king, surrounded by lords and knights, has removed his crown and bows before the cross.  It's a reminder of the source of all power and the supremacy of the cross.

David's job is to support MP's debating the big issues.  He provides biblical background material on the tough questions they face.  On the day of my visit, he had just provided notes to an MP for talks on human rights.  He also supports and develops the networks of Christians working here.  These include Christian MP's, lords and parliamentary staff, cleaners and policemen who meet regularly to worship and pray for one another.

Now Bible Society wants to boost their confidence in Scripture.  Theos, the public theology think tank, claims a growing government and opposition interest in "well being" is set to draw faith back into the mainstream.  The government also wants to involve faith groups in discussion about social provision.

"Secularism is dying," said David.  "Today there is a steady flow of Christians into politics, and this is set to increase.  Importantly, the new churches are growing rapidly and they, together with the older denominations, will help reshape the political landscape."

So a doorway for faith is open in Parliament.  And Bible Society is poised to help Scripture become not just trappings--but transformation--as it moves off from walls and floors into the hearts and lives of decision makers.

"God called me to this work," David explained.  "I know He has a big plan to bring the Bible and its truth back to the heart of this country.  When He does, people will say Bible Society had the vision to make the Bible heard here in the corridors of power--where it has influenced our law and policy-making for hundreds of years."

And there you have David's article which I found interesting when I first read it, and found it just as interesting and exciting today.  Now for you in other countries, why not enlist some of your sighted Christian friends to report to us all about your Christian leaders in government, and does your legislative building have things on the floors and walls similar to those in Westminster? In Washington DC there is quite an abundance of things, which the average tourist, Christian or not, know nothing about.  Just to cite one example, the Washington Monument, which is 555 feet and 5 inches tall, has a Latin inscription at the very top on a piece of metal.  It reads:  "Laus Deo!" meaning to praise God.  There are so many more I could cite, but won't go into here.  Anyway folks, that's your homework assignment, and don't do it alone, but enlist the help of your sighted Christian friends and fellow congregants.  You and they just might learn a thing or two.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul