[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 00:51:20 UTC 2013

Good day folks and good evening to my fellow saints of the Most High God residing in the Americas.  Actually, no matter where you live, you are a fellow saint, if you have accepted Jesus Christ as your own personal Lord and Savior.

Well folks, in some circles today is St. George's Day if you celebrate or even think about that.  I personally don't, but maybe there are some here who do.

Our article for today has what I consider a unique title, "Ministry of Presence" by Ed Grube, who is director of publications and communications for LEA, rendered as follows:

Mention "ministry of presence" to children, and they'll be in favor of it.  Their metaphorical minds will shimmer with visions of ripping ribbons and paper from piles of presents under the Christmas tree.  Their homophone is ringing, but it's a wrong number! However, a ministry of presence is indeed a present from the Holy Spirit! And it's a year 'round gift too.

Ministry of presence can be a favorite for all of us.  It has three characteristics to make it popular:

You don't need formal training.
Opportunities present themselves to you, mostly with people you already know.  (Yes, Christians need to witness among themselves too! But be especially aware of opportunities with unbelievers and demonstrably weak or suffering believers you serve).  Sometimes you don't have to be there to be there.

A ministry of presence usually requires sacrifice of one of our precious possessions:  time.

Simply put, a ministry of presence normally requires your presence at events that affect the lives of those you serve.  These might include:

The wake of a parent or grandparent of one of the kids you teach.
Athletic events--within school or congregation or in local park or recreation districts.
Plays
Concerts
Recess--especially with the lonely or ostracized child.
Any occasion when someone needs assistance--or just a friendly smile.
Community events, especially local council meetings or town square meetings

What about, "Sometimes you don't have to be there to be there?" At 80-plus, my mother-in-law conducts a compassionate ministry of presence without leaving the house.  She writes get-well and thinking-of-you cards to the hospitalized and shut-ins.  She is with these people in her thoughts and prayers.  The cards simply demonstrate a tangible form of encouragement.  Your students can do the same.  Just get a list of shut-ins from the church office, buy some greeting cards and stamps, and put the kids to work.

A ministry of presence is the soft-sell of witnessing.  Even the timid Christian can witness this way--and perhaps grow into a more formal and sophisticated approach to Christian witness.  Your witness comes with your show of care and invites situations that the Apostle Peter talked about when he said, "Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you're living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy." (1 Peter 3:15b The Message)

But you must be ready.

What if someone asks why you care? Usually, they won't actually ask the question.  They will say something like, "How nice of you to be here!" It's unlikely that you'll respond, "I'm here because I'm a really nice person--no matter what you've heard about me!" Instead, your response can reflect why you really are there:  You really do care.  You love those you serve.  You love because God first loved you when He took away your sins through the sacrifice and victory of Jesus Christ.

Your ministry of presence--being there--results from God always being there for you.  And you can say something like that--maybe with a bit of practice and a small batch of boldness.

But prepare.  Write out what you would like to say.  Practice it a few times so you don't forget.  Place it somewhere where you can find it for review.  (Okay, so fat chance of that!)  Then look for opportunities to be present at events that matter to those you serve.

And there you have it for today.  Yes, I know this article was originally written for children, but there's something we so-called sophisticated grown-ups can learn from this as well.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul