[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Saturday, August 3, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 19:00:13 UTC 2013

Hello once again to all my fellow cyberspace saints of the Most High God, no matter what time of day it is or even day, whether that be Saturday or the Lord's Day.  I hope and pray that everything's going well with you.

Joy A. Sterling is a writer from Alabama, and today she graces our screen readers and Braille displays with her article entitled "Living In Harmony," rendered as follows:

In need of some bonding time with our grandchildren, we packed up the four of them, filled the back of the SUV with gear and food, and drove to the beach.  Upon arrival, everyone carried something from the car, but the kids immediately dropped their loads onto the sand and took off while Grandpa and I situated everything.  By the time I sank into my chair, I watched an interesting phenomenon unfold.  Each of our four grandchildren had found another child or group of children to join, and they were happily interacting.  The 12-year-old was playing volleyball with a dozen other young teens.  The eight-year-old, with his boogie board tied to his wrist, eagerly jumped into the surf with a couple other boys.  The five-year-old was already carrying buckets of water to aid a group that was sculpting various works of art.  And the youngest--just turned two--had dug his toes into the sand in front of a little blond charmer and they were busy throwing sand at each other.

No awkwardness; no isolation.  No sparring back and forth to ascertain who was the best or the strongest.  All afternoon they played together, sometimes moving from one group to another as the dynamics changed.  But they didn't fight over whose sculptures were the best.  They shared balls, boards and even snacks.  There was no name calling, or hogging the best toys.  No one stormed off saying, "I want it my way or I won't play."

Granted, they were all on their best behavior for a short-term relationship but they were able to put aside differences and meet on common ground and share.  They had learned how to play together in unity and peace.

What causes us to lose our ability to live in harmony? Why do we have to be the best, the biggest, or the loudest? Can't we forget our differences and dwell on what we have in common? If nations and neighbors, church members and cousins would be like the kids at the beach and "dwell in unity" like the psalmist instructed, then we would benefit from God's promised blessings.

I realize that our world isn't going to evolve into that paradise, but you and I, as individuals, can.  Remember the old song, "Let there be peace on Earth, and let it begin with me?" If living in harmony becomes our goal, it could change at least our little part of the world.  I'm praying daily that I will live more like my grandchildren have taught me to live--with peace, unity and harmony.

All I can say to the foregoing is a resounding "Amen!" Her remark about changing at least our little corner of the world reminded me of the old saying from, I think, the 1970's:  "Bloom where you are planted." I think someone even wrote and recorded a song with that thought in mind, but can't recall who did.

And now until tomorrow when, Lord willing yet another daily thought article will be presented, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul