[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 00:09:24 UTC 2013

Yes, there were.  Mr. Gonin himself related to me that, as a boy growing up
in the Pyrenes Mountains of France, he got to know the rather complicated
cave systems that went over the border and, under cover of night, he
smuggled Jews and other people considered undesirable by the Vichy regime
into Spain.  The two people I mentioned, Javier Gutierez and Jose Ezquerra,
likewise knew the systems as well.  You might be interested to know that
Javier and Jose, in 1938 with Generalissimo Franco's approval, founded ONCE,
the National Organization of the Blind of Spain (organization Nacional de
Ciegos de Espana), probably one of the most far-reaching organizations of
and for the blind, even by today's standards.  So, on December 13 of this
year, they will have celebrated their 75th anniversary as an organization.
Paul