[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Thursday, August 22, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 18:16:16 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to you all, no matter where you live in this world or even what time of day it is.  For most of us it is still Thursday, whereas you in Asia or the South Pacific region (excluding those of you who may happen to live east of the International Date Line) it is a very early Friday morning as this is being written.  I hope that you are all faring well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

The following has probably made the rounds around various email lists, but maybe some of you haven't seen it before, so for you especially here is a slice of humor for today.  It's called "Arthritically Correct Hymns" and was written by Jeanne Zornes, a writer from Washington State.  It is rendered as follows:

Some of the old standby (pun intended) hymns just aren't what they used to be for me.  I blame a once-broken ankle that healed into a weather prediction station, and unsought visits from a bent-over friend, Arthur-ritis.  When the order of worship has more "ups" than "down," it's not long before I want to position my posterior in the pew.

I do so with great guilt, no thanks to the tradition of hymns built off stalwart verses like "Stand firm" (2 Thess. 2:15).  For those of us with lesser endurance who "sit firm," I propose some arthritically correct hymns:

1.  "On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Sit and Cast a Wishful Eye."

Outdoor worship? Just give me a lawn chair and warm blanket.

2.  "Sit Down, Sit Down for Jesus."

There might be another sit-downer who needs a friend.

3.  "I Sit Amazed In the Presence." That sure fits the morning devotional time--good, quiet, seat-in-chair-with-Bible moments.

4.  "On Christ the Solid Rock I Sit." It worked for the house built on a rock.  The one on sand should have had flood insurance.

5.  "Sitting On the Promises." That's better than pacing around and wringing your hands in worry.

6.  "Lord, Lift Me Up and Let Me Sit." Though I may not see the words on the overhead through the six-foot-four, 280-pound guy in front, I can still feel spiritually lifted.

7.  "Sit Down and Bless the Lord." We do this anyway before passing the meat and veggies.

To be honest, the "arthritically correct" hymns just don't sound right.  But I'll be happy to belt out the originals, as long as I have permission to eventually obey gravity's pull on my aging body.

And there you have Jeanne's contribution for today.  Even if you aren't plagued with arthritis, I hope you got a chuckle or two out of these.  And, should anyone say that her originality is irreverent, may I remind you that it says in the book of Proverbs that "Laughter is the best medicine," and, just think of it, you don't have to go to the pharmacy to pick it up, nor is there any money to shell out for it.  Now that's something I'll drink to.  Hey maybe I'll just go and get me one of those Ensure drinks.

And now until tomorrow when, Lord willing another Daily Thought message will be presented, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul