[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 19:48:38 UTC 2013

Hello and good midweek day to all my loyal readers out there, no matter where in this world you happen to reside.  I hope that your day is going well, whether that time of day be morning, afternoon or evening, and whether it be December 4 or December 5.

The story I'm about to relate to you is the second in a series that most of you have previously read, but because some new people have "come aboard," so to speak, to these lists, I'm repeating it for their benefit.  There's something that's both sad and beautiful about this story.  It's entitled "Christmas Courage" by Marlene Deppler from Colorado and is rendered as follows:

One year I was a part of a Christmas support group.  Five of us joined together to find ways to have a holiday that was more sane, less stressful, and less exhausting.

Carol, one friend in our group, had a different challenge than the rest of us.  She had been battling cancer for quite some time.  Her prognosis wasn't good.  Carol was relatively sure that this would be her last Christmas on earth.

So our group became a part of Carol's support network as she determined to spend her last Christmas in a meaningful way.  When a person is nearing death, it doesn't take long to become very clear about what's important.  All the superficial things that commercialized Christmas touts completely faded.  What mattered most to Carol was her faith in God, her family, and a few close friends.

She wanted her friends to linger for unhurried chats.  She wanted to spend time with her family.  She wanted to look in the faces of her sons and her husband.  She wanted to understand their hearts and listen to their laughter.  She wanted to share with them all the things she would not be around to tell them later.

Carol wanted to bask in God's presence.  She wanted to remember the gift of God's Son that gave her hope beyond this life.

We watched Carol become weaker and weaker.  As her energy waned, she was unable to attend our group meetings, so we would talk by phone, or I would drop by her house.  I dropped off a poinsettia.  Another friend helped put up a Christmas tree.  Her teenage sons did a little baking.  Since Carol was too weak to shop, she enlisted the help of various friends, asking them to pick up gifts for her family.  They weren't expensive or elaborate, but they were deliberately and thoughtfully chosen.  Each of us did a small part to bring Carol a blessing that Christmas.

Carol summoned the courage to experience the quiet and simple Christmas that she wanted.  Two months later she went home to be with the Lord.

As I sit in the quietness of the early morning recalling my friend, I am challenged once again to examine my perspective about the holidays.  Suddenly, my to-do lists seem less important.  The frustration over my untrimmed Christmas tree that had been sitting bare of ornaments for more than four days has little relevance.

As I remember Carol's example, I rekindle my commitment and the courage to be still--to cease striving and know God, the God who showed love for us that first Christmas by sending a baby into the world who would redeem us.

This Christmas, consider pausing long enough to listen to the heart of a struggling friend.  Or in the stillness of the night, pray over our sleeping child.  Or sit before the lighted Christmas tree and let God's love blanket us in warmth.  Or lie in bed and reach for the hand of the one we have vowed to love.  May we still our minds and hearts long enough to know what we truly value and to experience the authentic message of Christmas, regardless of our circumstances.

Marlene wrote a lot here that some of us would to well to emulate, if possible of course.  For starters, let's try, with God's help, to distinguish between our friends and acquaintances, something not easily done on our own, but with God's help it can be done.  And by those two terms I don't mean necessarily people who live in our immediate city, town, village or neighborhood, but even our on-line friends.  Perhaps you can think of other things as well.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow another daily thought message will be waiting for you.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul