[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:51:26 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to all my fellow saints of the Most High God, no matter what that time of day is when you read this message.  I hope that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that you are all doing well.

A number of years ago Ruth Andrews wrote an article that should make us pause and think about the true meaning of Christmas.  Her contribution is entitled "Celebration" and is rendered as follows:

The biblical account of Jesus' birth in Luke 2 is very familiar to us.  We know about the inn where there was no room.  Many people had come to Bethlehem to register for the tax.  In fact, facilities were so crowded that Joseph and Mary had to seek refuge in a stable.  Some are very critical of the innkeeper who turned them away, even though no innkeeper is mentioned in the Bible.  Perhaps you say you would not have turned them away, but we have the perspective of this side of the Cross.

Do we not at times shut out the Lord? We celebrate the birth of Jesus by spending time with family and friends and going to musical programs at church.  These things are important and special to us.  Still, we can become guilty of becoming so busy at Christmas that we find ourselves having time for everyone and everything but Jesus, even though we do not intend to leave Jesus out.

We want to remember friends and family with gifts, spending time and money so that we can give just the right ones.  Some, though, lose sight of why we give and try to impress others by how much they spend.

Consider those who visited the Child in Bethlehem.  The shepherds who came to the stable on the night of Jesus' birth were near the bottom of the economic ladder, yet God chose them to be the first visitors.  The wise men, who came later, were highly regarded.  They were rich and brought expensive gifts.  Whether we celebrate Christmas elaborately or simply is not as important as keeping Jesus as our focus.

At Christmas we remember to share with those in need, and this is good, but we can share the Christmas message of love throughout the year.  Here are a few suggestions.

Volunteer your time at a school or in some other community service.  Send a note to a friend telling that person how much you appreciate his or her friendship.  Reassure that person of your support and friendship.  Visit people who live alone, perhaps taking something you have made.  As we enter a new year, more ideas will probably come to mind, for needs occur year-round.

Let us allow the special music, the lights, the gatherings of family and friends, and the gifts to glorify the Lord.  This is a special time to honor God, who sent Jesus as a human baby, God's greatest gift, to reveal His love for us.

And there you have Ruth's article for today which I hope was not only a blessing but, in the words of every "Unshackled" radio broadcast, made some of you "face yourself and think."

Tomorrow in place of the usual article we're going to play a Christmas carol trivia game with one particular song in mind.  Don't worry, we're not gambling here, as I in no way wish to have you parted from your hard-earned finances.  As they say in radio or used to, stay tuned.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow will be the Christmas carol trivia question.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul