[Faith-talk] Braille Music

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 22:36:33 UTC 2013

I am sort of in between dogs right now, but I always took my dog on
stage with me for church choir.  I didn't for my recitals and most
choir concerts, but I have for a couple.  Once my dog and I led
everyone on stage for a school choir concert.  That was a good time,
and I couldn't believe our director didn't care that the blind girl
was the first one, leading everyone else on stage.

In church, my dog has really become a part of the family, so I
bring(brought) her on stage for everything, even solos.  At school,
she always went up with me for master classes, concerts in which I
only sang one song, or audition seminar type performances.  I would
not do so if she distracted me.  But since singing is my life, and she
is/was my mobility tool, I thought it necessary to train her to behave
to my standards on stage.

Now that she is retiring, I am going to bring a cane with me on stage.
 I don't like using sighted guide on stage only because if I need to
move off the stage, I would like to do so in my own way.  Yes, I am
stubbern.  :)

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National