[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Sunday, February 3, 2013, Albeit a Mite Early

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 01:30:02 UTC 2013

Hello folks.  Well, this might be a bit early for those of you in the Pacific and Mountain time zones, whereas we in the central and eastern time zones are pretty much gearing up for the end of our Lord's Day.  Whatever time zone you live in, I hope and pray that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that your day went well.  On the other hand, the rest of you in other parts of the world are already in your Monday mornings or afternoons as this is being written.  I hope that your day is going well.

The article selected for today or evening is entitled "Keep the Joy Coming" by Herb Svendsen, and it summarizes, in my opinion very nicely, the book of Philippians, rendered as follows:

The New Testament book of Philippians is Paul's JOY Letter.  Christians think of JOY as Jesus, Others, Yourself.  By keeping this order of things  you will find real Joy!

There are many things in this world that try to steal our joy:  job loss, health concerns, relationships, and the list goes on and on.  So reading the book of Philippians is a good way to keep us focused on the joy, even in the challenges that we face.

Let's set the background concerning Paul's writing of this letter.  He wrote this letter from a prison cell in Rome about ten years after he founded the church at Philippi and about four years since he last visited that area.

In Chapter 1 the emphasis is on the Joy In Suffering.  Paul says in verses 9-10:  "This is my prayer that love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ." Christians are to be joyful in every circumstance, even when things are going badly, even when we feel like complaining, even when no one else is joyful.  Christ still reigns, and we still know Him, and so we can rejoice at all times.

In Chapter 2 the emphasis is on the Joy of Serving.  Paul says in Chapter 2, verse 23:  "For it is God who works within you to will and to act according to His purpose." To be like Christ, we must train ourselves to think like Christ, we need the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, the influence of faithful Christians, obedience to God's Word, and service to others.

In Chapter 3 the emphasis is on the Joy of Believing.  Paul holds no confidence in the flesh, rather, he is pressing on toward the goal.  In Verse 12 Paul says, "I press on to take hold of that which Christ Jesus took hold for me." When the Olympians prepare to participate in the Olympic Games, they prepare, practice, and motivate themselves to do the best they can do to win their place in the Games in hopes of winning a gold, silver, or bronze medal as recognition of their accomplishments.  Likewise, as Christians, we want to press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called us.  Remember, through prayer and meditation God will make that clear to us.

In Chapter 4 the emphasis is on the Joy of Giving.  One of my favorite Bible verses is from this chapter in 4:13, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." God is not telling us to do His will on our own.  He will give us the strength needed to do His will and to face the challenges that face us, knowing that Christ does indeed strengthen us.  Remember also verse 4, "Rejoice in the Lord always, and I will say it again, Rejoice!" This means that in all circumstances we must remember that we are not alone.  God is with us always!

So today and always, remember that we can experience the JOY that comes to us in the Suffering, Serving, Believing and Giving to Him all that we have, knowing that He will be with us all the way.

Let's pray:  Thank You, Lord, for Paul's insight in the book of Philippians and continue to show us daily how to live our lives and to experience the full joy that comes from Christ Jesus alone and help us to keep the joy going, for it is in Jesus' name that we pray with thanksgiving.  Amen.

And there you have Herb's insightful article.  When I originally read this, I immediately went and read that letter, and I suggest that, as the Spirit moves and you have time, that you also do the same while the insights presented here are fresh.  Use your version and method of reading.  I'm not sure what version Brother Herb used, but it sounded like the New King James Version, although I'm not absolutely correct about this.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul