[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Sunday, February 10, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 01:59:45 UTC 2013

Well, Sunday for us here in the Americas is about to go the way of all previous Sundays.  I hope and pray that you all had a good day in the Lord today with both Him and your fellow congregants.  For the rest of you in other parts of the world, I pray that your Monday is going well.

Dr. Ralph Montanus (1919-1986) wrote this article some years ago entitled "The Importance of Faith," rendered as follows:

Even the most casual reading of the Bible will reveal the important place faith has in the Christian life.  The one quality that the Lord Jesus looked for and rewarded more than anything else was that of faith.  Often He would upbraid His disciples for their lack of faith.  One of our Lord's expressions of displeasure was, "O ye of little faith."

Blind Bartimaeus, whose story is found in the 10th chapter of Mark's Gospel, was earnest.  The Syrophoenician woman, whose story appears in Mark, the 7th chapter, was persistent.  The centurion, in the 8th chapter of Matthew, was humble.  Yet in all these instances, it was faith that Jesus saw and rewarded.

We are told in the Word of God that "without faith it is impossible to please Him" (Hebrews 11:6).  But someone will say, "What is faith?" WHAT IS FAITH?

The Scriptures teach us that true faith has three elements in it.

First, true faith has an element of knowledge.  "They that know Thy name will put their trust in Thee" (Psalm 9:10).  Faith is no leap in the dark.  Faith is no groundless belief of the heart.  On the contrary, faith--real faith--is based on knowledge, the best knowledge, namely, the Word of God.

One may believe with his head without his heart, but he cannot believe with his heart without believing with his head also.  This is the reason we preach the Word because "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Romans 10:17).  Again, the apostle Paul, realizing the element of knowledge found in true faith, cried out, "How shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard, and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14).  Yes, knowledge is needed before true faith can be exercised.

Secondly, there must be the element of assent.  A good illustration of this is found in the scribe's reply to the statement of Jesus found in Mark 12:32, "Well, Master, Thou hast said the truth." Knowledge must be coupled, then, with assent.  It is not enough to know; there must be that agreement that it is true.  For one to have the element of assent means that one agrees, acquiesces, admits that it is true.

Thirdly and finally, there will be the element of appropriation.  Christ presents Himself as the Savior.  This you must know before you can be saved.  It is possible for you to know that Christ is Savior.  This is knowledge.  It is also possible to agree that He can and will save you.  This is assent.  However, you can still die in your sins and perish unless the element of appropriation is exercised, namely, you must take Him as your own personal Savior.  "But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name" (John 1:12).

My friend, will you right now, this very moment, get down on your knees and ask the Lord Jesus Christ to come into your heart? Tell Him that you now open your heart's door and invite Him in.  The moment that you do this, He will take you at your word, and you will have eternal life.

There you have Dr. Montanus' article for today.  Although a bit outdated, I pray that it still ministered to your spirits, even if you are a born-again Christian and your faith has failed in one way or another.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul