[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 03:03:29 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to you all.  Well, we've all finally crossed that threshold from one year to another.  Do you wonder what the next 12 months will bring? I do, however, I know that, despite any and all unforeseen or unpleasant circumstances, that God will make a way where there seems to be no way.  What will that consist of? Only He knows the answer, but if we trust Him to carry out His plans, they will succeed.

Dr. Ralph Montanus returns with his thought-provoking article for today entitled "Stepping Into a Brand-new Year," rendered as follows:

Can you believe that another year has come and gone? We now stand on the threshold of a brand-new year, and there is no way we can predict the happiness of the days, weeks and months that lie before us.

There is a way, however, that we can greet each day of the new year which can revolutionize our service for God.  The Psalmist has given us the secret.

"This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24).

Can you just imagine how the man or woman of God will make an impact for Christ if this text is taken to heart and manifested day by day through each individual life?

There are several secrets found in this text.  The first one has to do with the present.  There is absolutely nothing we can do to rectify the past.  All the days, weeks and months of last year are gone, and gone forever.  As for the future, it has not arrived as yet.  Each day, we stand between two eternities--we can live only in the present, one day at a time.

A famous cereal company uses a motto that makes good sense.  "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." The Lord Jesus taught us the importance of living just one day at a time in His famous Sermon on the Mount, when He said:

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.  Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof" (Matthew 6:34).

Even in the magnificent prayer that Jesus has given us, the thought of one day at a time is brought out when we petition, "Give us this day our daily bread." We are not to pray about yesterday's bread, for that has been eaten, or is stale and moldy.  As for tomorrow's bread, that hasn't even been baked yet.  Jesus tells us to ask for this day's bread.

There are many illustrations throughout the Bible regarding today and what we are to do with this present day.  Not only is it important to live just one day at a time, but to know how to live that one day at a time is even more important.  How one greets each day can have a tremendous effect on his emotional and mental health.  Scientists tell us (and we know it is true) that our emotional and mental attitudes can make all the differences between being healthy or ill.  There is something about a merry heart that produces a sens of physical well-being.  Therefore, the Psalmist is not just glibly saying, "This is the day which the Lord hath made," but he is perfectly cognizant of the reality of that statement.  This is truly the day which the Lord hath made.  Man hasn't made it; God has! This very thought should trigger in the emotional area of our lives a response of rejoicing and being glad.

Dear Christian, can you not see that the way you meet and greet the day will make all the difference in how that day progresses and how it finally concludes? If there is one thing above and beyond everything else that the day should produce in the heart and life of the child of God, it is a tremendous sense of rejoicing, and an attitude of gladness.

You remember that one of the great salutations of our Lord was, "Be of good cheer." To be of good cheer is in complete harmony with a rejoicing spirit that manifests gladness.  There is no way that we can rejoice and be mean or ugly at the same time.  All the negative emotions such as resentment, hatred, jealousy and malice have a severe negative response that can lead to so many psychosomatic illnesses.  Ah, but the man or woman of God who greets each day in a very positive way will find themselves feeling better, looking better and acting better.

Our actions are always manifested by our feelings.  Thus, one who feels miserable looks miserable and acts miserably.  On the other hand, one who feels good looks well and acts well.  So, I think, by God's grace, it would be well for all of us to memorize Psalm 118:24 until it sinks deeply into our hearts and becomes a part of our daily consciousness.

Then, every single day of this year will be meaningful and productive in the service of our blessed Lord, and I will not need to wish you a happy new year because you will most certainly have a blessed one.  It will be yours simply by putting into effect the 118th Psalm, verse 24, every single day throughout the year.  By the time we reach another Christmas, if you will, faithfully and constantly, so live day by day, you will be able to look back upon a very useful, productive and happy year that was spent in the service of our precious Lord.

It is the opinion of the undersigned that Dr. Montanus could have written this article originally today, as his words are so timely even for us so-called moderns.  I hope and pray that his words ministered to your heart, soul, mind and spirit.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul