[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Sunday, January 6, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 03:42:10 UTC 2013

Well, the first Sunday of the New Year is almost over for us in North America, whereas you in the rest of the world are enjoying your first Monday.  We've all survived to one degree or another the first week.  I hope and pray that, as we in North America retire for the night, that we will get a good and peaceful sleep, and I hope that the rest of you elsewhere are enjoying your day.

The article for this evening is fairly short, but does someone's literary endeavor have to be long to have an impact? I think not, in my humble opinion.  Take today's contributor, Mark A. Grorud in his article entitled "The Epiphany of Our Lord," rendered as follows:

January 6th is the Epiphany of our Lord.  The word "epiphany" has two key meanings or understandings.  First, an "epiphany" is a sudden realization, particularly one that is triggered by a unique occurrence or situation.  In simplest terms, it could be described as the moment when the light bulb turns on inside our heads.  Second, an "epiphany" is the appearance or manifestation of God.

There are a number of epiphanies in the Matthew 2:1-12 Gospel text.  Herod has an epiphany and realizes that he is dealing with something much greater than he can handle.  The wise men have an epiphany and realize that Herod is a politico not to be trusted.  And then there is the epiphany moment when the wise men find themselves in the presence of the Christ Child.

Epiphany moments are wonderful.  Relish them! Particularly when they open our eyes of faith.

Lord of surprises, lighten the dark corners of our lives and our world.  Surprise us with Your Presence when we least expect it.  Open our eyes to see You in one another and in the world You created.  Bring a moment of surprising grace today.  Amen.

And there you have Mark's article.  Speaking personally but at the same time regionally, those of you, including the undersigned who live anywhere from Illinois to New Jersey won't forget something called a "duracio" (if that's the right spelling) on June 29, 2012 when an unprecendented series of thunderstorms simultaneously descended on our parts of the United States, knocking out power to literally millions of people, homes, businesses and churches/synagogues.  If that wasn't a natural epiphany, then I don't know what was.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day, and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul