[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:18:45 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to all my friends living near and far away.  I hope that this finds you well as you read this.

I don't know if I've shared this with some of you previously or not, but if not, I hope that you will enjoy it and, if I have, it's always good to read it a second time around.

Jewell Johnson is a writer living in Arizona, and she wrote a heartwarming short piece entitled "The Power of Encouragement" rendered as follows:

When George Washington Carver was an infant, slave raiders carried him off with his mother.  Moses Carver, their owner, sent a man to search for them.  He returned with George wrapped in a bundle of rags, but his mother was never heard of again.

When six-year-old George asked to attend the school near their farm, Moses' wife, Mary, said, "That school is only for white children." But she found an old speller and taught him the alphabet.

Later George moved from the Carver farm to Neosho, Missouri, to attend elementary school.  He eventually applied to Highland College and was accepted.  When he arrived on campus, the college dean took one look at him and said, "We do not take Negroes at this school."

At this point, George gave up his dream of going to college.  But while working in Winterset, Iowa, he met Mr. and Mrs. Mulholland, a white couple.  They recognized George's talents and took a keen interest in him, often inviting him to their home for Sunday dinner.  When they heard of his desire to attend college, they encouraged him.

Their help made the difference.  George applied to Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa, and was eventually accepted.  He graduated from Iowa State Agricultural College in 1890 and went on to revolutionize agriculture for Southern farmers by developing more than 300 products from peanuts.  At the time of his death in 1943, 18 public schools had been named in his honor.

The world today recognizes the inventive genius of George Washington Carver.  Yet few know about the obscure couple who helped him achieve success.  Their encouragement turned the tide for a discouraged young man.

Our destinies hang by a thin thread.  Left to ourselves, we may become disheartened and give up our plans and dreams until someone comes along and says, "I believe in you.  You can do it." By the same token, when we speak encouraging words to others, we dispel despair from dull eyes, quicken lagging steps, and help our friends realize higher purposes for their lives.

And there you have it for today.  Although not mentioned directly in this article, there are a number of Bible verses that support what Mr. and Mrs. Mulholland did for Mr. Carver.  I won't go into them, but suffice it to say that, if you look hard enough in your copy of the Word, you can find them.  If you know anyone who has encouraged you throughout your life, no matter how small and they are still living, won't you thank them as soon as possible for what they did for you? Remember tomorrow just might be too late to do this, so do this as soon as possible.

In a book entitled "Their Light Still Shines" which I have in my collection, Mr. Carver went before Congress to lobby for money for impoverished southern farmers.  I don't remember his exact words, but in his speech to that legislative body, he credited God for giving him the inspiration to develop all those products from the lowly peanut.  Can any of you think of 50 products made from that plant? I can think of perhaps ten, but not 50 and certainly not 300.  Yes, Mr. Carver was a devout Christian, probably influenced by Mary Carver and, I have no doubt, Mr. and Mrs. Mulholland.

And now until tomorrow when, Lord willing another daily thought message will be presented, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul

P.S.  One more thing.  The Holy Spirit just brought to mind a very seldom-sung (at least in my experience) old hymn, at least the first verse.  Written by John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892) it is entitled "O Brother Man," and its first verse is as follows:

O brother man,
Fold to thy heart thy brother;
Where pity dwells the peace of God is there.
To worship rightly is to love each other;
Each smile a hymn,
Each kindly deed a prayer.

Don't know why He (the Holy Spirit, that is), impressed on me those words to share with you today, but He did, for which I praise and thank Him.  Paul