[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Saturday, June 8, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 21:17:59 UTC 2013

Well hello and good day to all my cyberspace saints of the Most High God.  Well, after I finish writing and sending this message, I'm going out for a second complete walking circuit of my block, as the weather here in Baltimore and I'm sure in the mid-Atlantic region of our country is perfect.  Don't know what the temperature is, but I would say in the upper 70's.  The only thing missing in all this is your presences to go with me physically, not virtually, but then those of you who are married may have husbands who might object, and I quite understand.  Anyway let's dive in to what we have for you today.

We turn to the writings of the late Dr. Ralph Montanus, founder of the Gospel Association for the Blind, with his article entitled "Evaluating the Things in Life," rendered as follows:

Have you ever evaluated the best things in life? If not, this is something we ought to do every now and then.  After we check up and take stock, it would be well to know what is excess baggage and get rid of it, just keeping the things that are really worthwhile.

We are told that there are only eight things that we all want out of life if we are normal human beings.  These are health and the preservation of life, food, sleep, money and the things that money can buy, marriage, the well-being of our children, a sense of appreciation, and eternal life in Heaven.

We will just consider our spiritual achievements.  Are we satisfied? What methods are we using in acquiring these wants?

Health and life, as great as these twofold wants are, will both fail us and end inevitably in death.  As for money and the things it will buy, both will leave us or, more surely, we will leave them some day.  In fact, everything our hands can handle and our eyes can see will pass away.  In one hundred years from today, none of us will be here any longer.  Since life is so short and the realities of death and judgment are inevitable, and realizing the absolute failure of materialism to satisfy, how important it is to be sure that eternal life in Heaven will be ours one day.

But, how can you be sure, you may say? Before answering this question, let me ask you one.  Since all materialism ends in failure, is it not a worthwhile pursuit to seek for eternal life? Is it not worth more than anything else in life?

Now for the answer to that question about knowing the way of eternal life.  First, let me say that there is no other book in the world that is plainer on this subject than the Holy Bible.  It tells us what we must know and do if we are ever to have eternal life.  It plainly teaches us that there are two things we must know and one thing we must do if we are ever to go to Heaven.

The first thing you must know and admit is that you are a sinner.  God tells us in Romans 3:23:  "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." The word _all is used.  _All means everybody, and everybody means you.  Yes, my friend, you have sinned and come short of God's glory.  This you must know and admit if you are ever to be saved.

The second thing you must know and admit is that Jesus Christ is the only Savior.  God tells us in John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." And, in Acts 4:12 we read, "Neither is there salvation in any other, for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." This statement is very plain language that only Jesus Christ can save and give eternal life.

The one thing you must do is to accept Him as your own personal Savior and surrender your life to Him as your Lord and Master.  Jesus said, "Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28), and "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out" (John 6:37).

Dear Reader, if you have never come to Him before, will you do it right now? Will you admit to God that you have sinned, thank the Lord Jesus Christ for dying for you, and give Him your life this very moment?

I realize that all, if not most, of us have accepted Jesus Christ as our very own personal Lord and Savior, but perhaps you know of someone who needs to hear this message.  If so, please email Dr. Montanus' article to him, her or them.  On behalf of your unsaved loved ones, thanks for doing this, and God will not only bless you for your efforts, but another soul will be added to the kingdom.

And now until tomorrow when, Lord willing another daily thought message will be sent, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last and evil days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul