[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Thursday, June 27, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 20:09:42 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to you all.  Here in most of North America it's already a hot summer, and I hope and pray that wherever you live on this continent that you have at least a circulating fan in your apartment or dwelling place.  Of course, modern air-conditioning would more than likely be preferable, but perhaps some of you can't afford that.  Nonetheless I hope that you all are doing well today or that your day went well, as this is being written and when you read this message.

We delve again today into the writings of the late Dr. Ralph Montanus with his article entitled "How To Keep Happy," rendered as follows:

True happiness, like every other blessing, is found in Christ.  He said, "These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full" (John 15:11).

Again and again, we read that joy is the lot of those who walk close to God.  For example, we have such statements in the Bible as "whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he" (Proverbs 16:20).  "The blessing (joy) of the Lord, it maketh rich, and He addeth no sorrow with it" (Proverbs 10:22).  "In Thy presence is fullness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures forevermore" (Psalm 16:11).

Over and over, God tells us that it is His will that we be happy.  Happiness ought to be the one outstanding characteristic of every child of God.  What an impact would be made upon this unbelieving world if Christians were radiant with the joy of the Lord.  What a different testimony we would bear if we would only let God have right-of-way in our lives and let Him fill us with His joy.

Four Daily Musts
I have found in my own personal experience that there are FOUR DAILY MUSTS that need be observed in order to have and maintain the glow of Christian happiness.

First and foremost is prayer.  It is utterly impossible for you or me to be happy if we neglect our prayer life.  Right here and now, I would like you to promise God that, by His grace, you will never let one day begin without first having a season of prayer.  Communion with God imparts God's peace, God's love, and God's joy.  We become like those with whom we keep company.  To be godly, therefore, we must spend time with God.

Secondly, daily Bible reading is inseparable to a life of happiness, for it is a light unto our pathway (Psalm 119:105).  It is the Word of God hidden in our heart that keeps us from sin (Psalm 119:11).  If we neglect daily Bible reading and study, we become a prey to sin, and sin robs us of joy as nothing else can.

Thirdly, we must witness for Christ.  I know of no joy comparable with that of leading others to the Lord.  If we would be happy, really happy, then we must make a conscious effort to lead others to our Savior.  Pass out tracts.  Attend an outdoor service where you can give your testimony.  Whenever and wherever possible, we should put in a good word for the Lord.

Last, but in no wise least, if you want to be happy, you must walk in the Spirit.  But how can we do this in a world of ringing telephones, blaring radios and televisions, and the hundred and one other distractions we face each day? How may one walk in the Spirit?

First, by talking less and listening more (James 1:19).  Study to be quiet (I Thessalonians 4:11).  Learning to be still brings real tranquility of soul.  If we were to go through just one day of life listening and not saying one word, we would have little to repent of at the close of day, and it would change our mode of living drastically.

Secondly, if we would walk in the Spirit, we must learn to practice the presence of God.  In Proverbs 3:5-6, we read, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." If we would but acknowledge God in all our ways as we are bidden, then we would be slow to make promises and commitments that would involve us in needless jangles and hopeless frustrations.

Consulting God first, and then acting, brings happiness never dreamed possible this side of Heaven.  Christian, if you will faithfully and persistently try to follow these simple rules and allow God to govern your life, He will give you a peace and joy in your heart that passeth all understanding.  If you do, won't you let us hear from you as to the results in your life?

And there you have it for today.  It is obvious that Dr. Montanus never heard of computers, much less the Internet.  If he had, I'm sure there would be a change in some aspects of his article.  Nevertheless I hope you enjoyed reading it and that it was a blessing to you.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last evil days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul