[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 04:21:25 UTC 2013

Well folks, here in the Americas it has just turne the corner to Thursday here in the East, whereas you in the central, mountain and Pacific time zones are still in your Wednesday.  You in Europe or the UK are waking up to hopefully the start of the day and a good breakfast, whereas you in Kiwi country are enjoying your evening meal, and you in Australia have that to look forward to.  Whatever your time of day, I hope that you are doing well.

Sharon Conners wrote the following article about six years ago entitled "Changing Seasons and Weather," rendered as follows:

I know that spring is approaching when I am awakened to the pleasant sounds of birds chirping outside my bedroom window in the morning.

When I step outside, I am further aware as the trees are budding and awakening from their winter slumber.  The first flowers of spring begin popping out of the ground--crocuses and dwarf irises are the first ones I see.

In addition to the first signs of God's creation awakening, springtime is always accompanied by showers and thunderstorms.  When I see dark clouds forming, I know there is a storm on its way.

When a storm approaches, it is a good time to turn on the radio or television for the latest weather forecast.  Sometimes plans need to be altered for the day.  If it is going to rain, I will have to change my plans to something indoors.

Just as we witness the signs of the changing seasons and weather, we can also be witnesses to the signs of the end times as Jesus foretold during His ministry on earth.

He told us to be aware of false prophets.  He also spoke of wars, natural disasters, sickness and immorality.  Paul wrote, "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils" (1 Tim. 4:1).

All you need to do is read the newspapers or turn on the news to witness the signs.  Uprisings and violence are increasing in the Middle East and elsewhere, and more frequent and devastating natural disasters occur each year.  There is also the whole issues of homosexuality and same-sex marriages.

Often I walk away from the television absolutely discouraged and muttering, "What is this world coming to?" Then I turn to the Word.

Jesus told us that all these things must happen before He returns.  Whether or not it happens in my lifetime, I do not know.  He said that not even He knew the hour or the day of the end (Matt. 24:36).

We must live righteously and keep a watchful eye on heaven.  In Matthew 24:43, Jesus said, "But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up."

And there you have Sharon's article for today.  When I read this article those long years ago, I asked myself the question which is also the title of a book by Harry Golden, "So what else is new?" I haven't read the book, but maybe one of these days I'll get around to it.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul