[Faith-talk] Suffering

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Mon May 6 23:46:35 UTC 2013

Hi Curt and all,

The question of suffering is rather complicated, meaning that it has
many facits. God's original intent was for man to live with Him in
peace and harmony, complete fellowship. That became null and void in
the fall, when Adam and Eve disobeyed God's order not to taste of the
fruit of the tree.

Lucifer fell from grace because he wanted to be equal with God, and
one-third of the angels followed him. Why God allowed the serpent to
temp Adam and Eve we don't really know. It's recorded in Scripture,
and therefore, it is true.

God doesn't cause suffering, but he allows it. Read through the book
of Job, and you will find that God allowed Satan to make Job suffer,
but not to kill him.

Jesus' response to suffering was because of his compassion. Remember,
he was a man, so he handled things much as we do. Yes, He healed
many, but that doesn't mean that all are healed today.

We suffer because of sin, ours or someone else's. Evil men caused the
planes to crash, people to die, and buildings to be destroyed. We
live in a fallen world, and we will sin while here. Those whom Christ
has chosen, and who have answered yes to His call, will be sinless
when they reach the pearly gates.

Now, what do we do with the sufferings we endure? Sometimes we suffer
so that we might minister to someone else later in our lifetime.
Sometimes we suffer because it is a punishment for some wrong. There
are many and differing reasons, and often our suffering brings us
back to God, or closer to Him than we have been.

God is sovereign, and He knows what's best for each of us. Just like
the rain, suffering falls on the just as well as the unjust. God is
love, but He is also a jealous God. If we put anything or anyone
before Him, we will suffer. As long as we live on this earth, we will
suffer at times.

I don't know where that passage is that Paul referred to. And, of
course, I haven't in any way exhausted the subject. The best way to
find answers is to read your Bibles daily, and read them all the way
through. Each time you read, you'll discover something you hadn't
seen before. We have thrown God out as a nation, but we dare not do
so if we are Christians.

I hope this helps some.

Blessings,

Linda