[Faith-talk] Lord's Day Thought for May 5, 2013

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Tue May 7 00:53:59 UTC 2013

Hi kurt,
You do raise challenging but good questions.  I'm sure you aware that you follow in the steps of centuries of agnostics when you pose your questions in this way.

I think the ideas of free will and redemption are vital in any discussion of the purpose of pain and suffering.  I believe that God created man with free will as a vital part of who we are.  God created us to be in a genuine loving relationship with him.  For us to truly love him, the possibility that we could do something other than love him needed to exist as a real possibility.  He could have made it so that humans have no choice but love him and choose good, but in doing so he would not have created free beings, but slaves or robots of a sort who  only chose good.  In fact, the bible teaches that Adam and Eve in the end did choose evil, leading to the breaking of creation, and the beginning of pain and suffering as we know it.

(I know that not all Christian groups believe in free will, but I do.  I also believe that the bible supports predestination, but the relationship between these two is a side track from our main conversation.)

In creating beings who could genuinely enter in loving relationships with him, he also created beings who could reject him and choose evil.  You may disagree that this trade-off was worth it, but God seems to think that it was.  I'm just not sure how you could have free beings without the real possibility that they will misuse their freedom.

The piece that helps me deal with this better is the idea of redemption.  That even though God has allowed evil to enter the world, whether for reasons we understand/agree with or not, from the beginning to the end of the book he enacts a plan to deal with this evil.  Immediately after the fall, in Genesis 3 God promises that one of the descendants of Adam and Eve will crush the head of the serpent.  These promises continue through Abraham, to the nation of Israel, and are ultimately fulfilled in the coming of Jesus Christ, who atones for the sin of humanity by offering himself as a sinless sacrifice.  Admittedly, human suffering did not end with the coming of Christ, but I believe that as humans are freed from the bondage of sin and are again able to choose good, the coming of Christ marks a turning point.

For me, these ideas help explain the function of suffering on a general or universal level.  God allowed the real possibility for evil to exist in order to create free beings.  He allows it to continue because he chooses not to violate the free will he has given us.  Instead he has enacted a plan to redeem the world's suffering, either on this earth or at the end of time.  God's power is of such a kind that instead of eliminating all opposition through force of will, he is able to use seemingly weak and poor circumstances to bring about his will.  The crucifixion of Christ is the prime example of this concept, but you find it expounded throughout the new testament.

These ideas are perhaps less effective in handling questions of individual suffering.  However, I believe others on this list have offered answers to those kinds of questions.

I invite question an dialogue, either on or off list.  Thanks for your questions and your care to express your desire not to offend.

Happy truth seeking,

Greg