[Faith-talk] once saved always saved????

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Thu May 9 04:56:56 UTC 2013

Linda,
  What of those billions upon billions who never heard the name
"jesus" in their lives?  Does God condemn them for those circumstances
which, if you believe, you would have to concede he is responsible
for?  That hardly seems infinitely just, much less infinitely
merciful, to me.
  And what of people like me who, seeing numerous contradictions and
inconsistancies in the Bible, not to mention the double standard of
morality which seems to make itself known after even a cursory reading
of the Old Testament, decide we can't honestly and in good faith
believe such a book?  Are we condemned to the fire forever, with no
chance of an end to our punishment (even after billions and billions
of years), while professing Christians, some of them more sinful than
us, are sanctified and justified for salvation?  I suppose, by your
definition, there is absolutely no hope for me unless I sincerely
devote myself to a faith which, and I'm only speaking for myself here
and meaning as little offense as possible, seems irrational and not
the most effective path to me being an ethical and moral person.
  I guess I can take at least a modicum of solace because, if you're
right, I'll at least have some good company in my eternal damnation.
If I'm going to be burning in agony forever, at least I'll be able to
share my torture with the likes of Gandhi, the Buddha, Albert
Einstein, Socrates, Thomas Jefferson (before you say he was a
Christian, read the Jefferson Bible and I imagine it will change your
mind), Confucious and many more of humanity's best and brightest, both
morally and intelectually.  That's at least some comfort, isn't it?
  In closing, I'd just like to reiterate my desire for civil and
reasonable dialogue.  I'll confess this last message was passionate
because, I won't lie, this conversation strikes a nerve near and dear
to my heart.  If you object to the tone I took in this e-mail, I'd
politely ask you to read this whole conversation before accusing me of
such; I'd submit that, though I have tried to make my case with
passion and furvor, I have not been any more intense than Timothy or
Linda in stating my opinion.  I stand by what I said, but I don't mean
any insult or offense.
  Warmest regards,
Kirt