[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 19:41:24 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to you all.  Hope that everything's going well in your part of the world on this hump day for most of us, but for those of you in Australia and New Zealand, at least as this is being written, you in Australia are about to emerge from your beds and you in New Zealand are doing whatever you do during the 8 a.m. hour on Thursday.

We have another short article by an unknown person.  It's from a compilation called "More Stories For The Heart," with the contribution today being titled "The Comfort of a Cold, Wet Nose," rendered as follows:

I hadn't even wanted the dog in the first place! My husband insisted I get him to replace the dog that had died recently.  Soon, he was "my dog," a friend and faithful companion, not asking for any more than I was willing to give--a daily meal, a kind word, a warm bed.

But not my bed! No dogs allowed on my bed.

The night after my husband died, I lay there, staring into the darkness, my pillow soppy wet with the unending flow of tears.  The bed seemed so big all by myself, and I was wondering how long it takes for a good case of "loneliness" to heal when I first felt it move.  It was cold and clammy and creeping at a very slow pace into my open hand outside the covers.  The solidified jelly-like mass was followed by prickly hairs and just before I screamed, a muffled but familiar whine came from the creature that was forcing its cold, wet nose into my trembling hand.

"Oh, Shawn, what are you doing on my bed?" I threw my arms around his thick hairy neck and hugged and hugged.

In the days and months to follow, I came to realize that this dog I hadn't wanted was a gift of love from God.  He was a warm fuzzy on my bed every night; a companion always willing, wagging and available to go for a walk when I needed to get out of the house.  Twice, he snapped at me as I wailed loudly and out of control, as if to reprimand me to be strong and of good courage.

Shawn taught me all about love and acceptance and forgiveness.  That crazy dog loves me just as I am.  And so, I've learned to be a warm fuzzy to those around me who are hurting and to approach them gently, loving them just as they are.  Like my dog curled up by the warm fire, I just want to be there in case I'm needed.  I thank God for providing a friend when I felt alone, and for the comfort of a cold, wet nose.

And there you have the article written by an unnamed lady.  Hope you enjoyed it.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be another daily thought message, especially for you.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul