[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Saturday, November 30, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 21:25:23 UTC 2013

Hello to all my readers on this Saturday, no matter what time it is.  However if you're in Australia or New Zealand it's Sunday morning as I write this.  Hope you in Aussie Land or Kiwi country are having, or had, a good time of fellowship with the Lord and with the fellow congregants at your respective houses of worship.

We have today what I consider a very interesting article written by Victor Knowles in the "Knowles Letter" in its January 2011 edition published by Peace On Earth Ministries of Joplin, Missouri.  The article in question is entitled "Knit Together In Love" and is rendered as follows:

There are two verses in the Bible that mention people being knit together in love.  The first is in the Old Testament and the second is in the New Testament, so we are talking here about a truth that transcends both testaments.

"... the soul of Jonathan was _knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul" (1 Sam18:1 NKJV).

"that their hearts may be encouraged, having been _knit together in love" (Col2:2 NASB).

The only time I remember knitting anything was when I was in third grade and I knit a potholder for my mother to give to her at Christmas.  (My wife informs me that I was actually weaving, not knitting.  I think she should tend to her own knitting for this is my article! Just kidding! I don't want to defeat the purpose of this article!).  At any rate, my knitting/weaving of the sorry looking potholder was a labor of love for my mother.

_Qashar is the Hebrew word for "knit," meaning "to bind, tie, bind together." The Greek word for knit is _symbibazo, and means, "to cause to coalesce, to join together." The soul of Jonathan was tied together with the soul of David.  The hearts of the believers in Colosse were coalesced or joined together.  In both cases, the "knit" factor was interlacing love.  The noted Scottish commentator William Barclay says, "Without love there is no real Church.  When love dies, the Church dies."

It is my firm belief that when the church is "knit together in love," nothing can unravel that love.  Jonathan loved David as his own soul.  Their love was so strong that they actually made a covenant (1 Sam. 18:2).  The coalition in Colosse remained firm because they had been knit together in love.  Note the text: "_having _been knit together." Who or what knit them together? I have to believe it was the interlocking love of Almighty God.

But in my travels today I sometimes see congregations that are not knit together in love.  Instead of being knit together they are nitpicking with each other.  Instead of reveling in unity they are unraveling in division.  Instead of being a holy coalition they are living in an unholy condition.  What God has carefully joined together, man is carelessly putting asunder.  All this in outright defiance of the holy commandment:  "Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another" (John 13:34 NIV).  How arrogant does a person have to be to disregard the New Commandment of our Master and Commander? What possible justification does one offer for his or her mistreatment or rejection of a brother or sister for whom Christ died? The apostle Paul said to accept one another, not reject one another (Rom. 15:7).  If Christ has received you, who am I to reject you?

One of the most chilling things as of late is when the pastoral leadership of a church actually tells some of the sheep to leave the shelter of the fold.  "If you don't like our new agenda, take a hike.  Hit the road.  Go find another pasture." How insensitive and callous! When just one sheep went astray, Jesus went passionately after him to bring him back to the fold.  Only a lack of love would cause "pastors" to intentionally drive sheep ("the sheep of _His (God's) pasture," mind you) away from the fold and into the cold.  When Saul insanely drove David away, Jonathan told david, "You will be missed, because your seat will be empty" (1 Sam 20:18).  Empty seats should be a source of pain, not a source of twisted triumph or selfish satisfaction.

May God help us to learn to knit (and be knit) in the church--"Knit together by strong ties of love" (Col 2:2 NLT).  If love covers a multitude of sins--and it does--then may love prevail.  If love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres--and it does--then may love always prevail.  If love never fails--and it never will--then let us courageously and compassionately manifest the unfailing and interlocking love of God to friend and foe and everyone we know.

And there you have Brother Victor's article for today which I hope you enjoyed reading and pondering.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be another daily thought message for your consideration.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul