[Faith-talk] blind sence child birth.

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 01:23:25 UTC 2013

Jenny,
I agree.  A church doesn't have to have some formal transportation ministry for someone to be able to get a ride.  I have called several churches and expressed my desire to visit but my lack of transportation and they have called me back within a few days, usually with someone who would be able to pick me up.  Sometimes I have taken a cab for the first week or even first couple weeks so that I can meet the pastors and some people before I ask about finding a ride with someone.  I find that often people ask me how I got to church and its an easy opportunity to explain that I took a cab this morning but that I am hoping to find someone who attends the church and lives in my area so that I might be able to carpool.  Even if you find someone, transportation can be tricky because often people aren't there every sunday and so you might need two or three options to make sure you have a ride each week.  This isn't easy but it is also a great way to build relationships with people in your church.  I know transportation to church can be very discouraging.  I still end up taking a cab to church some weeks and it really gets me down when I do.  But I would encourage everyone to continue trying, to not be afraid to put yourself out there and explain your need and ask.  Most people wouldn't think about how we have a hard time getting to church.  If we let enough people know, and do so in appropriate ways, someone will eventually listen.

For another option, in Nashville, I ended up finding a church that I could walk to from my house.  It wasn't exactly the denomination church I had been looking for but it was similar enough and it meant a lot to me to be able to get to church on my own.  Depending on where you live, this may also be an option.

I hope some of these thoughts are helpful to some of you.

Blessings,

Greg Aikens, M. Ed.
Teacher of students who are blind and visually impaired
Cobb County School District
gpaikens at gmail.com

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/faith-talk_nfbnet.org/justin.williams2%40g