[Faith-talk] pray for my brother and family

Poppa Bear heavens4real at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 05:52:50 UTC 2013

Hello Justin, it is genrally used as a Psalm that helps dispel fear and
helps us to put our eyes on God and not our circumstances. Below is some
stuff that gives a more in depth look at this Psalm, Psalm  27. I hope it
helps some.
Fear is disabled by God's presence  - verses 1-6

God's presence supersedes God's enemies  - verses 1-3

King David, who penned these words in Psalm 27, knew the meaning of the word
fear better than most. His life consisted of one vicious attack on his life
after another. For years he was the number one fugitive in Israel, always
hiding from the wrath of King Saul. Later on, his life was threatened by the
revolt of his own son Absalom.

  We may not find ourselves as outcasts, pursued by potential murderers,
with our lives on the line. But our problems still plague us. Our hope
evaporates as our resources diminish fast. We may feel that to be left at
the mercy of circumstances, under their tyranny, is to be torn apart and
left with nothing.

  David begins with a sense of certainty, of calm in the midst of a storm.

  The starting point for David and us are not the circumstances, are not the
problems, but the God who is in control of all those circumstances. David
does not deny the situations he faces, but those situations do not define
for David how he is to respond.

  During World War II, a military governor met with General George Patton in
Sicily. When he praised Patton for his courage and bravery, the general
replied, "Sir, I am not a brave man. . . The truth is, I am an utter craven
coward. I have never been within the sound of gunshot or in sight of battle
in my whole life that I wasn't so scared that I had sweat in the palms of my
hands. I learned very early in my life never to take counsel of my fears."

  Our circumstances must never be what defines our life. Rather than taking
counsel of our fears, we must see our life in a much larger perspective.
There is nothing so dark and gloomy as fear, nothing so unsettling than
being afraid. But when we are intimidated by people, or discouraged by
circumstances, God's presence provides a defense against these frightening
circumstances.

  It is not said merely that the Lord gives light, but that He "is" light;
nor that He gives salvation, but that He is salvation. God does not just
help us discover a refuge, a place where we are safe; it is He who is our
safety. We do not ask Him to give us these things as though they are
independent of God, but they describe who our God is.

  God's presence is the light which chases away the shadows of despair. It
is in the darkness that our fears take on the horrible shapes of monsters.
That is true whether we are four or forty. We live without all the facts, we
live in the dark, so our fears become all the more fearsome.

  The answer comes not in our manipulation of our circumstances so that
peace reigns in our lives. Rather trusting in God's presence, knowing that
He is sovereign, in control, that it is He who is the light in every dark
corner of our life - then we can cease being intimidated by the unknown,
frightened by the terrors of life. The doom of depression must be expelled
by the light of the Gospel.

  Because God is light, because He has guaranteed salvation, because He is a
fortress against whatever evil comes our way - its success is never outside
the providence of our God; it will never succeed. The reason is simple. God's
control is never undermined. We must know who is all powerful, who is the
Creator, who is in charge.

  I recall as a Cub Scout going on a trip to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in
Maryland to see a demonstration of military power. While the thunderous
explosions delighted the crowd of eight year old boys, the best part was
when we got to climb on and in the tanks. But as we raced toward the
machinery which had beaten back the Nazi onslaught a generation before,
after seeing the power which fought in Korea and was building up in
Southeast Asia - it was strange that we were told to be careful as we
climbed on these steal beasts. We were cautioned not that we could be hurt,
but that we might hurt the tanks.

  In the same way, we can have confidence that no harm can come. When evil
comes our way, it is never greater than our God. Verse 2 - they'll stumble
and fall, they'll trip over the laces of their sandals. Even in the
anticipation of troubles (verse 3) there can be courage. God's presence
supersedes God's enemies because.
God's presence is seen in God's place  - verses 4-6

  The reason for David's certainty of God's protection came not on a whim or
based on a fleeting dream. But it came about because with singleness of
mind, David's full attention is focused on God's presence which was seen in
God's dwelling place. David knows that only here can he find the comfort to
endure troubling times. There is no other answer, no other solution. With
clarity of purpose - the answer lies in God's house.

  David may be expressing a desire to lay aside the stature of the crown for
the robes of the tabernacle priests, if that were possible. Or he could be
expressing a longing to get away from the pressures of the battlefield and
join the rest of Israel in the worship of God. Whatever was his desire, his
goal was clear - he knew that it was only by focusing his attention on the
beauty of the Lord, seeking Him in his temple that he could find the safety
he needed.

  What does that mean - that we've got to live each day of our life inside
the church? In terms of safety statistics, that's not a bad idea. 20% of all
fatal accidents occur in automobiles; 17% of all fatal accidents occur at
home; 16% of all fatal accidents occur in plains, trains, and boats; but
only 0.001% of all fatal accidents occur in church, so obviously the safest
place to be is in church, as much as possible!

  The reason is much more sensible than that. Seeing God in the sunshine of
worship, you can have confidence in the shadows of life. Fear fades when we
see a sovereign God who gives us mercy.

  Worship and worry can not live in the same heart; they are mutually
exclusive. When we fill our minds with who our God is, when we are reminded
what He has done for His people, worry begins to fade away.

  The focus of the worship in the Old Testament was not the personal needs
of the congregation, it was not to offer tidbits of self-help, it was not
witty sayings to make one smile. The focus of the worship was God and His
work for His people. For that very reason we don't show up here to see and
be seen, we do not come be entertained and made to feel more secure in our
sin. Rather the object of our worship is the Triune God.

  The trouble is we are so often busy with so much, that the Sabbath has
lost its meaning. There are ball games and family gatherings, there is
shopping and cleaning, there is just a little more sleep. But as we crowd
out the worship of God from our lives, it is no wonder that fear takes the
place of worship. They are mutually exclusive.
Fear is dismantled by God's grace   - verses 7-14

God's grace accepts fearful people  - verses 7-10

  Having expressed the certainty that despite the mounting troubles he
faces, David knows the answer to his fears is found in worship. In verses
7-14 there is a shift in the Psalm from the positive declaration that the
evil men will fail to a plaintive cry for help. In the second half of the
Psalm we hear the content of his worship. But it is not just pollyannaish
musings. David cries to the Lord. He recognizes that for God to rescue him,
for God to deal with his fears, is an act of God's grace.

  David doesn't try to argue his case before God that he is worthy of God's
time. He knows he does not deserve God's grace, but petitions God to listen
based on God's character.

  Some people say that maturity is demonstrated by faith that never
struggles, by rising above the tide of this grimy world and living in some
kind of exalted plane where you are never uncertain, never afraid, never
assailed. But David's struggle is refreshingly real. Knowing that God is
sovereign, that He will never leave us or forsake us is foundational to our
Christian life, but that never means we won't wonder "why?"

  David approaches God because of God's grace which allows him to come.

  It would be not only presumptuous to barge into the Oval Office, it would
be downright deadly. The Secret Service is well armed and only a deranged
man would dare to be so bold. How much more dangerous to go before God? But
David knows he can pray, he can worship because he comes with an invitation
in hand. God accepts fearful people like David, like me.

  To seek the face of a king meant to seek his favor and forgiveness and
mercy. This doesn't mean: seek what God can do for you, but rather, to seek
Him. Come to Him not only to receive gifts or relief from your troubles or
answers to your prayers, but to know Him.

  In verse 9 David is distressed; it seems that he is uncertain as to what
God will do.
  He does not want God to conceal His face. He does not want to lose the
intimacy, the personal communication he has with God at this point. David
doesn't want God to shoo him away in disgust, ignore him and forget him. But
then at the end there is a confession, an acknowledgment that God will not
do this: "you have been my helper."

  In the past God has been there. So, since God does not change, he has
nothing to worry about. God will not leave him. As unlikely as it is for
parents to abandon their children, yet it happens - God would never do that.
As unthinkable as it is for a mother to forget she has kids, God even more
so will never forget you belong to Him.
God's grace teaches fearful people 11-14

  David is not asking for an easy way out. He is asking God to instruct him
so he will know what to do. Not "God, fix this so my life will be simple."
But "God, help me to endure this situation without harming your name."

  This is a dangerous prayer to make, but one which is very necessary. David
prays to know God's way through the difficult situation. He wants the
straight path because of the oppressors. The level place, the straight path,
is the word which means "uprightness." He asks God to show him how to live
righteously, correctly, in the face of those that are lying about him.

  In verse 12 the form of attack seems not so much battle, but vicious
speech. In battle you die but once, but with a false witness you die a
thousand deaths. If he responds in fear, he could lash out at his enemies,
but God's way may be different. It is very tempting to return insult for
insult, false information for their lies. But David knows, having seen God's
character as he worshipped, that David could not speak that which is not
true.

  David then believed that he would still enjoy the goodness of God in this
world; although he was now deprived of all experience of His favor, and
could see no spark of light, he is certain of one truth: God's goodness will
be evident even in this life. Sometimes the Lord calms the storm. Sometimes
he lets the storm rage and calms His child.

  David concludes with the simple, but profound advice: wait

  That is a word we never like to hear. Little children whine when told to
wait, and the complaining does not diminish with age. But contained within
the word "wait" we have a clue as to what waiting does. The origin of the
word is to twist, stretch. The tension which occurs during the time of
waiting is what produces the strength which is the benefit of waiting.

  A rope is made strong by the twisting of the fibers together so that it
can take the tension when the time of testing comes. You and I likewise are
made strong by God's grace when He puts us under pressure.

  The admonition to be strong and take heart is the same form found in
Joshua 1:9 where Joshua is told not to be discouraged, not to fear. What
then is the man or woman to do in the face of adverse circumstances? He or
she is to wait..but that implies hope, a confidence in God that He will
answer the prayer and vindicate the oppressed.
Our world is impatient. We want everything right now. We've got instant tea
and instant coffee, instant computers and instant banking, instant cameras
and instant re-dial on our phones. There's a sign in a shop in Pennsylvania
that reads, "Antiques Made While You Wait." That's almost as stupid as the
one that said, "Ears Pierced While You Wait." (You don't leave them there
and pick them up later!) Some things that are worthwhile don't come
instantly. Maturity, character, wisdom, perceptiveness, and holiness do not
come quickly. All through the Scriptures, God tells us, be patient for the
coming of the Lord; wait on the Lord; they that wait on the Lord shall renew
their strength; don't grow weary in doing good, for in due season you will
reap a harvest if you don't give up. Yet we are an impatient lot.

  When our family is in a turmoil, we become fearful. When our finances are
a shambles, we fret over the checkbook. We want answers immediately. But God
commands us to be patient, to wait. He's won the victory. Sometimes we can
do little except to wait and believe. A Jewish refugee wrote an inscription
on a wall outside Cologne, Germany, during World War II: "I believe in the
sun, even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I'm alone. And
I believe in God even when He's silent."

  But God has spoken. God has an answer for you and me. On what basis can we
be certain that our fears will not come true, that God will leave us to be
destroyed by whatever monsters plague us by day and night? This may have
been David's story, but I'm not David. How can we claim this fearlessness in
the face of frightening circumstances? How can we know the presence of God's
grace? While this Psalm was written by David about some unknown
circumstances in his life, there was another one who knew even greater
danger, more fearsome situations and who found His refuge in the Lord.

  We can have confidence that God is our light, our salvation and our
refuge, for it was His own Son who, while evil men came to take Him to be
falsely tried and murdered, spoke and they fell to the ground. It was Jesus
who knew far better than any of us the horrors of abandonment as He hung on
the Cross, as He cried out to His Father, "My God, My God why have you
forsaken me?" But He was not completely rejected - for the Father received
Him, as we know, on the third day when He rose from the dead. It was then
that He could see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

  His success is now ours - not just by example, but by imputation. Jesus
Christ is the light of the world; with Him we will never walk in darkness.
Christ will keep us safe; He is the rock on which we are set secure.
July 11, 1999
Corner stone Church notes on Psalm 27 ----- Original Message -----