[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Sunday, September 8, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 21:23:17 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to you all, and a special good day to you who are grandparents, as that is what it is today, at least here in the U.S. but I don't know whether or not it is in Canada.  At any rate hope you grandparents are receiving some nice things that you deserve or need on this occasion.

Many of you have read the article I'm about to present to you, but many haven't.  Anyway it's entitled "Grandparents' Day" by Carole Knowlton and is rendered as follows:

Marian Herndon McQuade walked miles with her grandmother to visit elderly shut-ins in West Virginia (American Profile, Midwest edition, 29 August to 4 September 2004).  Her grandmother brought food and home remedies and listened to the stories and songs of the elderly.  Marian never forgot those special times.

Marian had fifteen children, but she never forgot the love her grandmother instilled in her for the elderly.  She worked for recognition of elderly shut-ins.  President Richard Nixon signed a a proclamation for the celebration of National Shut-In Day in 1972, but it was good for only one year.

When Marian continued working on legislation, it was suggested she switch to National Grandparents' Day.  Because of her ceaseless efforts, President Jimmy Carter signed legislation six years later declaring National Grandparents' Day on the Sunday following the Labor Day holiday each year.  In 1998, she was honored with a highway sign, which is now posted near her hometown of Oak Hill, West Virginia.

Marian never wanted National Grandparents' Day commercialized.  She believed everyone is a grandchild.  She hoped that people would adopt a grandparent if they did not have one.  The article went on to say that 60% of the people in nursing homes never get visitors.

When my husband and I married, we moved away from the area in which we grew up.  We missed having our family close, but we found substitutes.  When we bought our first home, we adopted a neighbor as our grandmother.  We made many memories together.  She filled the "grandparent void" and made the best molasses cookies!

Shelly Beach stresses the importance of the intangible elements of life in "Living Legacies" ("Horizons," 12 September 2004).  Grandparents can make every day seem like a special day.  They teach by example.

My husband's grandparents were married four months short of seventy-five years.  They taught faithfulness and sacrifice by example.  I remember having tea with Grandma.  When I was done with my tea bag, I would add it to hers in her cup.  I liked weak tea and she liked strong tea.  Grandma and Grandma's house was open to their seven children, their families, friends and neighbors.

Their care and concern for others was evident.  I am glad I had my husband's grandparents, for they left an indelible mark on my life.

And there you have Carole Knowlton's article which I hope you enjoyed reading, and for a number of you perhaps even the second time around.  It might interest to you that I've been "adopted" by a five-year-old girl named Desir`e as her "old blind grandad," even though I've never been married before and had no children.  Now, please don't criticize this little girl; after all, as I stated earlier she's only five years old, but what a sweetie she is, even though she's black and I'm white.  It is plainly evident to me that the Lord put into her little heart the seeds of compassion.

The Bible has some things to say about the elderly.  Somewhere in the book of Psalms it talks about people living 70 or 80 years of age, and in Psalm 37 it states somewhere:  "I have been young and now am old, but I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their descendants begging bread." And somewhere in the deuterocanonical book of Ecclesiasticus this promise is given:  "Kindness to an elderly person will not be forgotten by God." It was this last quote, coupled with the fact of so many elderly people in nursing homes here in Baltimore, that the Lord put into my heart the idea of approaching our municipal Commission On Aging to suggest the possibility of starting a radio station here for our senior population.  I already knew about the station in Redding Ohio, WMKV which serves the Cincinnati market with that station's call letters meaning Maple Knoll Village where it originates from, plus two stations in New South Wales Australia, "Radio Yesteryear" and "Radio 50-plus." With that info in mind, the undersigned and a few others went before the Commission, and several years ago they gave their approval.  (The book of Proverbs gives the advice of others to agree with you in the idea of starting a project called "counsel" in several versions).  Well, two years ago in November they gave their approval, and, with God's help and the financial backing of the COA, we're rolling along.  We use the HD channel of a rock station, but there's no interference, and the seniors just love it, thanks going ultimately to God for His guidance.

I am also reminded of the fact that in Japan the emperor writes an individual letter to seniors who reach a certain milestone in their earthly life pilgrimage, something that perhaps could be emulated by the mayor of your city or even the governor of your state or province.  Does anyone know if this tradition is still continuing in Japan, given the push for always more and more modernity? It seems that, at least here in the U.S. we are obsessed with youth culture and the senior citizens are pushed aside as being worthless.  Now perhaps in your community or even your family it's different, but I'm referring to the general situation.

Sorry to be so long-winded today, but I have a very sensitive heart for those frail individuals, as hopefully is shown by what I wrote above.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend, brother and God-directed advocate for seniors, Paul