[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Thursday, September 12, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 20:44:07 UTC 2013

Hello and good day once again to my loyal and valued family of readers.  I hope that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that your day is going well, went well or about to begin, depending on where in this world you happen to reside.

Well folks, we're experiencing some rather unstable weather in the Baltimore-Washington metro area with severe thunderstorms rolling in.  Thankfully our immediate neighborhood wasn't affected, but as of 4 p.m. eastern time lightning struck the air traffic control tower at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, and in an unrelated event, something suspicious was spotted near our downtown courthouse with a resulting explosion with six blocks around that building sealed off.  So, we've had enough excitement for the day around here, thank you.  However, God, in His mercy and grace, has spared our little neighborhood from any calamities for which we all thank Him.

A person by the name of C.E. Carter, writing for the Gospel Tract Society, Inc., wrote a brief but interesting article entitled "Can Good Works Save?", rendered as follows:

Strange as it may seem, there are still some people who believe that their good works will save or at least help to save them.

"I am doing the very best that I can," they tell us, and they think that is it.  Honestly, one wonders where they get such an idea, as it certainly does not come from the Bible.

"Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? And in Thy name have cast out devils? And in Thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you; depart from Me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:22-23).

What Does God Say?

"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law ... for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified" (Galatians 2:16).

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us" (Titus 3:5).

"For if righteousness comes by the law, then Christ is dead in vain" (Galatians 2:21).  In other words, if good works could save or or even help to save us, then Christ died for nothing, and His sacrifice was useless and unnecessary.

How Are We Saved?

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the Gift of God:  not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).

"And if by grace, then it is no more of works" (Romans 11:6).

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness ... unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works" (Romans 4:5-6).

What a wonderful, glorious way of salvation! In His great love, the Lord Jesus Christ went to the cross and laid down His spotless life for ungodly sinners like us! And now He is ready to save and transform your life the moment you come to Him and put your trust in His sacrifice for you.  Then your "faith is counted for righteousness." He gives you His own perfect righteousness because of your faith and trust in Him.

And there you have C.E. Carter's article which, elementary as it is for most of us, hopefully, by God's matchless grace, can be used to minister to unbelievers of your acquaintance to whom you may send it.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul