[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Friday, September 27, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 18:29:49 UTC 2013

Good day once again to my online email family.  I hope and pray that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that your day is going well, about to end or just beginning.

Those of you who know me well know that I like history in all its aspects, whether that be political, economic, social or, to get to the point, Christian history.  Several years ago "Pulpit Helps," a publication primarily intended for pastors, had an article about one of the early martyrs of the then infant church, Polycarp by name.  The piece in question is entitled "Polycarp:  I Am A Christian," and is rendered as follows:

"He has never done me wrong."

Despite the cries of the crowd, the Roman authorities saw the senselessness of making this aged man a martyr.  So when Polycarp was brought into the arena, the proconsul pleaded with him, "Curse Christ and I will release you."

Polycarp's reply, "Eighty-six years I have served him.  He has never done me wrong.  How then can I blaspheme my King who has saved me?"

The proconsul reached for an acceptable way out, "Then do this, old man.  Just swear by the genius of the emperor and that will be sufficient." (The "genius" was sort of the "Spirit" of the emperor.  To do this would be a recognition of the pagan gods and religion).

Polycarp then said, "If you imagine for a moment that I would do that, then I think you pretend that you don't know who I am.  Bear it plainly.  I am a Christian."

More entreaties.  Polycarp stood firm.

The proconsul threatened him with the wild beasts.

His reply, "Bring them forth.  I would change my mind if it meant going from the worse to the better, but not to change from the right to the wrong."

The proconsul's patience was gone.  "I will have you burned alive."

Polycarp's response, "You threaten fire that burns for an hour and it is over.  But the judgment on the ungodly is forever."

The fire was prepared.  Polycarp lifted his eyes to heaven and prayed, "Father, I bless You that You have deemed me worthy of this day and hour, that I might take a portion of the martyrs in the cup of Christ ... Among these may I today be welcome before Thy face as a rich and acceptable sacrifice."

As the fire engulfed him, the believers noted that it smelled not so much like flesh burning as a loaf baking.  He was finished off with the stab of a dagger.  His followers gathered his remains like precious jewels and buried them on February 22, a day they set aside to be remembered.  The year was probably 155.  In the strange way known to the eyes of faith, it was as much a day of triumph as it was a day of tragedy.

These paragraphs are condensed from the longer account that was compiled by the Christians at Smyrna and sent as a letter to believers throughout the region.

I don't know about you, but I would really like to read this letter in its entirety, in an English translation, of course.

I'd like to present to you some facts not mentioned in this article.  Smyrna is now Izmir in present-day Turkey.  And who do you suppose Polycarp's mentor was? None other than the apostle John.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed that brief slice of early church history.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  I also pray that, if it eventually comes down to it, that we would have the courage to defend our faith as Christians against the advancing spread of those who don't believe or won't accept our way of faith.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul