[Faith-talk] A Bible Question

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 00:56:21 UTC 2014

Hello fellow list members.  I pray that all is going well with you, both individually and collectively, as you read this.

I have a Bible question to lay on you.  To put you in the picture, so to speak, let me lead up to what I'm talking about.

Jason Meyerson, pastor of the church I attend here in Baltimore called Calvary Morning Light, assigns one of the members of our congregation to give about a five-minute talk on a Bible passage of his choosing.  That person is responsible for opening the service on a monthly basis.  This month of August was my turn, and I chose the following topics with their relevant Scriptures:  hopeless or impossible situations (Habakkuk 3:17-19), promises for those who hallow and reverence the Sabbath (Isaiah 58:13-14), encouragement (2 Corinthians 1:3-7), prayer (Exodus 17:8-13) and the final one will be on the subject of labor.  My question is as follows:  From a Biblical perspective, what is the difference between labor and work? I'm thinking particularly of Exodus 20:8-10 which states in essence that we should labor for six days and do all our work.  So, as stated previously, what's the difference between labor and work? Maybe if I knew Hebrew and Greek, I could come up with an answer, but not knowing those languages I defer to someone who can enlighten me.  I hope this question does not mean that I'm ignorant about this topic.  Any responses, whether on this list or privately, will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.  Paul