[Faith-talk] blindness and faith issues question

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 18:02:48 UTC 2014

Sorry Christine, often I agree with you.  This time well, nope.
First of all, (and I'm setting up a premise here).  If you are a
Christian, then by virtue of being a Christian you have chosen to
accept certain principles.  One of those is that we should live
godly lives.  What that looks like may be a little different for
each person, but it will probably be lived out in one of two
ways: the Bible and it alone is your guide.  Then if that's the
case, you try, to the best of your ability to follow what
Scripture says.  For me as a Catholic, I follow Scripture, but
within the framework of the teachings and Tradition of the
Church.  It's like a three-legged stool: we have Scripture,
Tradition (which is the accumulative writings, prayers, etc.  and
the Magisterium, the Teaching Church.  What is the Church
officially saying about this or that subject.  All three go
together.  (And even in churches that say they only follow
Scripture, many churches have manuals that give guidelines about
various things.  (For instance, the Free Methodist Church has the
Book of Discipline.  Does every decision I make have to be looked
at minutely every day? No, of course not.  That would be crazy.
But certainly our lives and how we live them are formed by
something.  Nobody operates out of a vacuum.

Unresolved guilt is not healthy.  But when I feel guilty about
something (either before I've done it but I'm thinking about
doing it) or after I've done it) the healthy thing is to resolve
the guilt.  If I'm feeling guilty about whether to do or not do
something, then I need to look at it and determine whether I
should do or not do whatever it is that's making me feel guilty.
If I decide that I'm not going to do it, fine and good, if I
decide to do it then I must be aware that there will be
consequences.  There are always consequences to our actions.  If
I feel guilty after I have done something then I need to decide
why.  Is it something I should feel guilty about? Then I need to
repent, resolve not to do it again, and if possible, make
restitution.  If I'm just being overly sensitive and there's
nothing to feel guilty about, then I need to move on.  And if I'm
not sure, well, I need to pray, and seek out counsel.  Or as a
Catholic, maybe I need to go to Reconciliation.

Sorry I have rambled so much.    Blessings,    Debby and Neena