[Faith-talk] Some afternoon ramblings

Poppa Bear heavens4real at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 20:54:28 UTC 2014

Hello, for some reason a story that I heard many years ago just came into my
mind and moved my heart in a touching way. Once the Preacher Donald Barnhart
was walking down an old country road. That particular day he was down and
out. The area he was walking in had recently had a big fire that devoured
much of the country side. On either side of the road were the blackened and
charred remains of trees, grass and fields of wheat. As he was walking he
kicked what he thought was a part of a burnt stump and as it rolled on the
ground a brood of little chickens came tumbling out onto the dusty road
scurrying around, peeping and chirping. It wasn't a stump that he had
kicked; it was the little chick's dead and scorched mother. His heart gave
way at the scene as he remembered how the Bible talks about God covering and
hiding us under his wings like a mothering hen. Here it was right in front
of him, the vivid illustration come to life. He thought about how Jesus went
to the cross, and went through the ultimate fire to guard us from the
reality of death of not just this old body, but the death of the soul. This
is pretty much the end of that story, but for me, I imagine that those
chicks were frightened and wanted to scurry out from under the protection of
their mother's wings, but they didn't they trusted. I feel a little like
that now, there are certain things that are around me, in me, against me
that I want to sometimes just run away from, but I want to be able to abide
in Him, his word, promises, Spirit, and walk by faith even when my own
country road is dark, or alive with raging wild fires. In Him is the only
place I have found that peace that surpasses all understanding. I may not
always feel that peace, but I have felt it enough to know that nothing
compares to it, money, physical strength, physical relationships,
acknowledgments or any other kinds of worldly securities, accolades or
successes that I have tasted in my life. Just to abide, to simply trust and
obey, oh how sweet is that kind of fellowship with the Master, my savior,
Jesus. Thank you Lord for being so tender, so faithful in your dealings with
me, I can't Waite to be in your presents, to put my head on your chest, to
feel your love, have my heart cleaned, washed and put right, to do your will
perfectly, with a completely willing heart and attitude, clean hands, Oh, I
can only imagine.