[Faith-talk] developmental delay among the blind

Beth Taurasi denverqueen1107 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 29 20:34:34 UTC 2014

Well said.  I was told I had "developmental delays", and so has my
boyfriend who is also lifelong blind.  We're born this way, but we do
things differently.  It's bad enough you have lost the ability to read
social cues, and I was also diagnosed as 80% likely Asperger's, now
known as high functioning autism.  Um, really!
\BethOn 12/29/2014 1:16 PM, Poppa Bear via Faith-talk wrote:
> Hello Andrew, this is purely my very limited personal observation. I have
> noticed that people who have been blind from birth or shortly after do have
> different social skills that may cause people to think that there is a type
> of developmental delay. I am not sure if it is because of the lack of
> understanding visual Q's that accompany a lot of social interactions that
> some lifelong blind people have that sometimes cause a noticeable difference
> when interacting with people in certain situations, perhaps this factor can
> play a role in how people perceive the behavior of some blind individuals. I
> wouldn't take it to heart though, it isn't a thing that makes a person wrong
> or bad, just different and being different is part of being alive. Some
> people have big feet, big noses that they hate, squeaky voices, small body
> parts that they want enlarged, skin that they wish were darker or lighter,
> but we all make this ball of mud go round and weren't made to look or act
> like clones. Some things are simply not in our control, so I think that it
> helps to focus on the things that we can control and we will find a happy
> balance in our lives.
> Take care, and again, this is simply my observations, not some scientific or
> social study.

Check out my Wordpress blog: denverqueen.wordpress.com or you can reach me by skype at denverqueen0920