[Faith-talk] developmental delay amung the blind

Brandon A. Olivares programmer2188 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 17:19:43 UTC 2014

You make it sound very simple, but it’s really not intuitive at all. Parents are used to sighted people, and many times you have to explain something to a blind person you wouldn’t need to for a sighted person. I remember an embarrassing situation when I was younger, which I won’t go into here, which could have been averted if my mother had explained the right way of doing things. Instead I had to figure it out the hard way.

Parents of blind children need to be very observant. If they are doing something wrong, the parent needs to explain what they are doing, and what they should be doing differently. Luckily I was gradually able to figure things out on my own, by not being afraid to ask awkward questions, but I wish a bit more of it would have been explained when I was a child. Would have avoided some embarrassments. :)