[Faith-talk] How to give advice to people.

Mostafa mostafa.almahdy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 17:11:36 UTC 2014

Dear all, peace be with you.

One of the most difficult moments in our lives in general are when we give advice to people.

Sometimes we just could not recognize how sensitive it is to give advice.

As human beings, we are skeptic of being criticized by nature.

Some of us are quite rough when they  give advice to others.

They approximately insult their intelligence which is quite offensive to all of us.

In the section below, I am going to list some chronological tips on giving advice.

What we should stick to, and what we should not do when we give advice.

1; Transgression prevention.

If you are going to give  advice to someone you do not have an intimate relationship with, it is not a good idea to go beyond your boundaries, do not attempt to personalize the subject, just stick to the limits of your relationship with that individual.

  2; Be lenient and kind.

The task of giving advice is tuff by its nature.

Thus, it demands further graciousness so it is to avoid destructive criticism.

3; Outrage prevention.

This point is quite important.

When you are giving advice, you should never speak to someone in public, and particularly, if the one who is being advised is older than you.

You ought to critically respect his age or his position, that is if you give advice to your senior at work, for instance.

You have to adhere the principles of courtesy when advising someone ilder.

Giving advice in public is enormously mortifying to the one who is being advised.

That is quite offensive, and it humiliatingly denigrates the human dignity.

    If you are assigned to give advice to someone, you ought to eminently dignify his personal magnetism.

4; vicious cycle prevention.

As you are giving advice, and particularly if you are a parent or a teacher, please avoid the defect of verbiage repetition.

Do not repeat what you have said over and over, that is just tedious and frustrating.

I myself I am still troubled with that part when I talk to others, I often repeat what I said before.

    I have to resolve that problem within myself when I give advice.

5; Encouragement implementation.

Some people may feel insignificant or low self-esteem.

Thus, it is primarily your duty to constantly encourage them.

Let them feel confident about themselves, optimize their positive characteristics to develop their affirmitive temperament.

   It is the major factor to master the mission of giving advice, and that is to turn negative values into positive ones.

Do not mock someone when giving advice, that is disrespectful.

Avail their adequacy and retain their self-confidence.

Help them  setting their sequential priorities.

Help them identifying their goals.

Help them  planning for gaining much accomplishments if they already have not done so.

Avoid any type of criticism, and turn excuses into more chances.

Fill the emty part of the glass.

I hope that was useful.

Please feel free to share these tips with whom they might be beneficial to.

No strings attached.

Peace be with you.